First Merc (W210) a couple of tweaks what do you suggest?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nictry

Car
ML63
Firstly great forums and since picking my 1997 E240 Elegance up today I have been trawling through the different forums for suggestions and advice on my new purchase :)

Anyway I love my car but looking at some of the pics in the gallery etc. I realise that with a couple of small tweaks it could be even nicer (I don't want to do anything too radical!!) So I am after a bit of advice from the experts on the forum as to what to do?

I think that a change to the rear light cluster seems to be a better look and I think this can be done fairly simply? Is it as simple as getting hold of the post 97 cluster and replacing both the boot and rear wing and then reaseating the internal bits or is there more too it?

Also I have ordered some sliver indicator bulbs to lose the orange glow through the lights at the front but is there anything else I could do to make it neater from the front (new grill???? seems to be a recommended upgrade))

Interior wise I don't want to play too much but an auto dimming RVM would be great, is this a difficult thing to fit and connect up? I have a bog standard RVM at the moment?

And final question!!! I have 15" wheels with 205x65x15 on at the moment, although I will not be spending any more for now, what would be a recommended upgrade on these (without spending a huge amount) and is it a straught swap over or do other things need to be done e.g. suspension mods etc.

All advice gratefully received and if this is in the wrong forum I apologise in advance! :(

In my opinion, 3 things and your car will rock.....

1. Faceleft Wing Mirrors (appologies if a'97 is facelift, I can't remember)

2. Avantguarge grille (probably your cheapest and easiest mod)

3. 18" Alloys

The pedals are compulsory, You'll find the relevant part numbers HERE

I just ordered some new ones from my local dealer, about £18 plus VAT

When going for the Facelift rear clusters, get the darker AMG ones, they look better :)

Another mod is the facelift highlevel brake light (An LED strip instead of the 'box' one) you will need to replace the parcel shelf which shouldnt cost that much

For the tail lamps it's a straight swap but you will need to shave some plastic off the inside of the housing for them to sit flush into the panels. There are two types of tail lamp for the facelift w210, colourless for classic/elegance and smoked for avantgarde IIRC.

This is also quite a cheap mod, all the lamps from the stealership parts dept comes to about £100ish I think and it really updates the back end of the w210. I can get part numbers if required.

Thanks guys and great suggestions, I have seen some avantgarde grills on Ebay e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10398&item=4529052271&rd=1#ebayphotohosting for about 40.00 will these be OK rather than stealership prices? Or is the quality not as good?

Re the lights would love the part no.s as I think this is a def Mod that I need to do?

Also re the mirrors, not sure whether I have the facelift mirrors or not (but doubt it as the facelift was '98, have seen the blinker ones (again from a link on here to Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36682&item=7956791950&rd=1 , will they fit and I assume this will be a lot of work wiring up etc.?

Thanks again for all your advice and hope I will be able to contribute on here one day instead of just asking for help!

Last edited:
There were several updates to the W210, firstly in 1997 when the new EIS was introduced (new style keys, RVM, door handles were the visible changes) then in late 1999 the grill, bonnet, front wings, bumpers, sideskirts, door mirrors, headlamps, taillamps and numerous other bits were changed, that was the facelift.

Shude said:
There were several updates to the W210, firstly in 1997 when the new EIS was introduced (new style keys, RVM, door handles were the visible changes) then in late 1999 the grill, bonnet, front wings, bumpers, sideskirts, door mirrors, headlamps, taillamps and numerous other bits were changed, that was the facelift.

I have the first lot of changes as I have just realised my RVM has a little microchip in the top RH corner so assume this is the auto dipping function :)

Last edited:
nictry said:
I have the first lot of changes as I have just realised my RVM has a little microchip in the top RH corner so assume this is the auto dipping function :)

Yes it is. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom