First pop "gig" since 1972...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lisa110rry

Car
1999 SLK Kompressor and a Honda CRV (the latter gone but not forgotten)
Today, or rather this evening, I'm going to my first popular music "gig" since 1972 when I saw Sly and the Family Stone on the campus of the large university I eventually studied at. I was 16 in 1972.

Tonight it is Barry Manilow at the Machester Arena. I wonder what differences there will be? I'm quite certain (as we are in the "posh seats") that I will not end up, as I did in 1972, sitting in a massive amplifier on the side of the stage.

What else can I expect?

Unfamiliar scents such as lavendar, Lily of the Valley and talcum powder.

A gentleman with a bit of a hooter who recently came out of the closet ?

You'll walk around the edge/perimeter of the arena wondering whether you're in the queue for the loo or the bars. Bars are on the inside of the ring, toilets on the outside.

It'll be about £4.50+ per drink, which if a pint, will be a thin plastic glass that's so thin, you could call it a bag. Unless you're near the front, you'll be watching the screens as himself will be a dot in the distance. Even if you are near the front, there's a big gap between the barriers and stage, for security and videographers, so it'll still be a bit of a distance.

Anticipate breaks, which are either official breaks, or less popular songs and get to the loo and bar before everyone else otherwise you'll miss a couple songs in the queues again.

You won't likely be sat down for long. People in front of you will stand up, meaning you have to, too, then everyone behind... Oh, and you'll be about 60ft from the nearest speaker. :)

Lol, thanks all, particularly i-CONICA for taking the time to read and reply.

So, we got on the train, and I took out two small glasses and a bottle of "water" which was in fact chilled G&T, which we shared on the way down.

Got to Victoria and decided to leave the station for a drink because the other two in our party were still on tram. We didn't see the supporting saxophonist's set. The cocktails outside Yates's were very nice, I had a Mojito.

Back in the arena, we bought a bottle of wine, shared by the four of us, taken to our seats.

The four of us then went to the "stage door" where our tickets were waiting and we went directly to the area of our seats. A steward chap brought steps and opened the gate and we went to our seats which were excellent, could certainly see his face. We were lucky that we had the chief steward in our party!

We watched and listened, took pictures and videos, sang and clapped.

When it was over, we ran for the train to take us home. Duly collected and dropped at home, it was time for bed.

A good evening, pleasant, but I'm probably not going to repeat it, though I really would like to see Neil Young live. More my "thing" than Manilow.

We went to an "ABBA" tribute band peformance. I was really looking forward to it.
The instrumentalists were OK, but the "girls" were well over the hill and 2 stone too heavy. Seats were good but as above, nobody was seated. I can only stand for a few minutes so I was sitting down while everybody else was standing and jumping around.
I was the "Grumpy Gus" of the evening. Wished I had stayed home (the others in my party wished I had, as well).
CONCLUSION: not 25 anymore and staring at young women jumping up and down brings retribution.

Neil Young is touring here again soon I think. Saw him last at The O2 and ears are still ringing. Great night and excellent show but not as good as Sonny Landreth at Under The Bridge at Chelsea FC.

How did you find the volume Lisa?
I ask because some time ago I put my father on the guest list for a Chris Rea gig (I roadied) and he couldn't believe how loud it was. I though he'd be inured by the volume I played music at when I still lived at 'home' but still he was taken aback by how loud. To my ears, it was just normal gig volume.

Sorry, I didn't see your comment, Bellow. The volume was pretty much perfect for me, and I don't like loud noises in general. We were quite forward toward the stage, possibly much of the volume was directed higher and further toward the seats further back and sort of "rolled above" us?

We went to an "ABBA" tribute band peformance. I was really looking forward to it.
The instrumentalists were OK, but the "girls" were well over the hill and 2 stone too heavy. Seats were good but as above, nobody was seated. I can only stand for a few minutes so I was sitting down while everybody else was standing and jumping around.
I was the "Grumpy Gus" of the evening. Wished I had stayed home (the others in my party wished I had, as well).
CONCLUSION: not 25 anymore and staring at young women jumping up and down brings retribution.

Sexist and ageist!! The important thing is could they sing?

We are very lucky that we have a lovely new theatre only a few miles away in Aylesbury, lots of named artists and tribute bands, which, to get on the ATG theatre circuit have to be good.

Last week went to see the excellent "That'll be the Day" show, and a Who tribute band last night. Ears still ringing.............

A good evening, pleasant, but I'm probably not going to repeat it, though I really would like to see Neil Young live.

My lad will go with you - he's 21 and a mad keen Neil Young fan.

He's named his Les Paul Custom "Neil" :cool:.

His Fender is called Vaughan after Stevie Ray.

Expect rather more exotic aromas at a Neil Young gig.

Saw the Stone Roses at the Etihad last night. A superb show although very much to an adoring set of home fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom