first proper road trip and reasonable mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sean3513

Car
e320 cdi
had to go to preston yesterday morning and then had nothing else to do...it was a nice day so went for a ride out.

we headed back up the M6 ( we live 12 miles off junc 36) but, carried on and came off at junc 38.

headed up to kikby stephen then on to brough, from there to middleton in teesdale, then from there to alston and finally to penrith and back home down the M6.

a good mixture of motorway, A roads and B roads.

201 miles in total with and average of 38 mpg, average speed of 46 mph ( E320 CDi)

what a beautiful journey......the roads and scenery are stunning , we used to do the same run on the motorbikes, (but high levels of concentration where needed......we where young and too fast then...lol).....but a very nice drive in any car, with plenty of places for photos and lunch/brews.

very up and down ( especially dropping down fron alston to penrith (hartside), lots of hairpin bends..........nice!!)

so, if you're up north or fancy a nice ride out....i highly reccomend the route....i can provide road numbers etc if needed.

and very happy with the mpg , first "proper" run out......(we had a golf GT TDI before, 900 kgs lighter....and that used to average about 42/44)

give it a go..........you won't be dissapointed !!!!!!!!!!!

all the best

sean

Last edited:
Nice area :thumb:

Were you heavy footed? I'd expect about 44mpg for that average speed.

not really

very steep and twisty in places and aroun 80 on the motorway

i have read that the running temp makes a difference to mpg ???

mine sits just under 80........can any one confirm if this is correct

thanks

sean

Mine sits at 87 (I have a digital read out on the full climate control). You need a new thermostat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom