First Service - what is done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tuttle

Generally what is done for the first service?
SLK with 12,200 miles. 1 year old.

It would be an A service wouldn't it? with just an oil change.

tuttle said:
Generally what is done for the first service?
SLK with 12,200 miles. 1 year old.

It would be an A service wouldn't it? with just an oil change.

yes glorified oil change and a look over the car, check and top up fluid levels.

but its worth going to dealers at this stage, anything wrong will be spotted (hopefully) and repaired under warranty.

The most useful thing from the dealer is there may well be a number of 'advisory's' on the car - little things they have to check that aren't serious enough for a recall - so you get those done while your there.

with regard to your point about being an A service, not too sure

some cars, the first service is a B.

but as mentioned the advisory are what the dealers know and other garages will not.

peace of mind more than anything alse

I seem to recall a whole load of new S/W being downloaded as well (in fact there seems to be a download of S/W everytime .. new S/W for the gearbox last time...no idea why...to keep the cost up I guess!!).

Just look at it as taking £300 and giving it a german charity.

gary

I believe there is a description of what is done at each service in the back of the service book. If you have a look there you'll get all sorts of detail you probably didn't want to know.

gary350 said:
Just look at it as taking £300 and giving it a german charity.

gary

That is really unfair. Just had my first service on S320cdi after 14,000 miles and only cost £235. Labour part was only £100, rest was expensive low ash mobil synthetic (the best and recommended by Mercedes), plus filters etc.

Bear in mind it includes a 30 year rust warranty and free breakdown service which for me and wife would cost £150 from AA even in we did not take any Euro cover (costs about another £100 from AA but is free from Mercedes if keep full MBSH). Great value in my view.

I don't know how you manage to get your S Class serviced for less than it costs for my C Class.
You comments about Mobilo are interesting, bearing in mind the thoughts that you've posted elswhere about it. I don't believe that there's any cross-payment between the dealer and DCUK to pay for Mobilo, so it's hardly 'included'. If it's included in anything, then it's in the price of the car. And surely no-one would pay £150 for AA cover in the UK. Use Brittania Rescue for half the price.

One of our neighbours has just traded in his Jaguar for the new S-class simply because of bad service. His Jaguar needed a software flash upgrade for the gearbox and was charged over £200 to have it applied!! Not a warranty item so the customer pays. A flash upgrade was deemed as NOT being part of any required service!!! The whole servicing attitude of the dealership was unacceptable so he voted with his feet. That is an attitude I respect, if you don't like something... move on!

I fully accept the knockers will say the service costs cover that, but my neighbour is more than pleased with the new cheaper servicing of the S-class and of course the completely different attitude of the servicing department.

No matter what we say the pessimists will always find fault and I thank them for cheering me up. :)

The glass is still half full :)

John the optimist

Ten years ago, my Rover 220SDi consistently cost £280+ for each service, and I'm sure the interval was less than we get on the MBs. No Mobilo on that, and RAC was £100+ at the time.

Compared to that MB services is not too bad IMHO, I think both the ML270 and C32 were about £230 for the A-services, and they said the expect £450-ish for the Bs. Didn't get a Cappucino at Rover either, and if I was lucky enough to get a courtesy car I had to arrange my own insurance and it was Kingfisher blue Rover 100!!

Things like spark plug changes and component replacement probably in a different league though on the MBs!!

Rory said:
I don't know how you manage to get your S Class serviced for less than it costs for my C Class.
You comments about Mobilo are interesting, bearing in mind the thoughts that you've posted elswhere about it. I don't believe that there's any cross-payment between the dealer and DCUK to pay for Mobilo, so it's hardly 'included'. If it's included in anything, then it's in the price of the car. And surely no-one would pay £150 for AA cover in the UK. Use Brittania Rescue for half the price.

i think was possibly just "a sevice", your c class possibly had additional work done.
yes a w220 service is 250 ish, i have enquired ( as i was going to start saving), but i was surprised. I always let the dealer service and any additional work done elsewhere.

mioba said:
i think was possibly just "a sevice", your c class possibly had additional work done.
Nope, it was a bog standard A service - they changed the oil & filter and beeped the horn. It was quoted at £250 (at 3 differently owned dealers).

Bobby Dazzler said:
............... £230 for the A-services, and they said the expect £450-ish for the Bs. ........................

I costs this for the Missus 1400 A class at Bolton!!!!!!!:devil: :devil: :devil:

just to add.

the dealers make alot on the oil markup.

source your own mobil 1, castrol slx, and get them to use that

Last edited:
mioba said:
just to ass.

the dealers make alot on the oil markup.

source your own mobil 1, castrol slx, and get them to use that
Yep, that's what I did, and the dealer seemed delighted to use it. I paid about £30, they charge a staggering £12.95+VAT per litre, which equated to near as dammit £100 for my car.
Presumeably they pay even less for the oil than I did so considering they're losing about £80 of pure profit, I'd have expected some grumpiness - but not a bit of it!

My car currently has a full MBSH but I was thinking of using an MB approved for my next service, mainly because it is more convinient and would probably cost a little less. Does this mean that I would lose Mobilo or is it still maintained if they are MB approved?

Always go to the dealer for the first service, especially if it's a newish model or newish engine. The dealers are known to upgrade ECU software etc to fix minor bugs. This is of course never mentioned to the customer...

In buying a new mercedes you have probably committed to main dealer servicing for at least the warranty period. This is essential if you want to maintain the warranty and the resale value of your car. Mercedes service rates are among the highest in the trade, and one of the hidden costs of ownership of the marque they dont talk about in the glossy sales brochures. At 12k miles on an automatic I would expect a front brake pad change in addition to the standard service items.

Nibbo said:
My car currently has a full MBSH but I was thinking of using an MB approved for my next service, mainly because it is more convinient and would probably cost a little less. Does this mean that I would lose Mobilo or is it still maintained if they are MB approved?
If it's MB approved (ie a MB Authorised Repairer) then Mobilo is fine. Athough I got a price from one for my cars service and they were the same as the dealer. MB Direct (Birmingham) told me they were cheaper than the dealers (but they're not convenient for me), and using them continues the Mobilo too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom