First Service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tanfies2

Car
A Class 180d Sport
Me again, sorry, following on from my post about the Eco stop/start that wasn't working in my A180d Sport.

Picked the car up from Mercedes today, they've caught up with all re-calls, software updates etc, and the car has been given a clean bill of health.

Whilst there, I asked about the service history, they checked, and said the car hasn't had one yet.

Bearing in mind, it's only done 939 miles from new, however, the car was manufactured in July 2016, so it's around 15 months old.

Guy said, due to it's age, it's missed both an A and a B service, but, due to the miles done, it wouldn't be due one yet ??!! (confused.com).

So, from experience, would you A) do the services now due to the age of the car, or b) wait until the car alerts you when they're ready, that's what my other A-Class did, think the first was around 5k miles.

Said to the guy, surely the car would have alerted someone back then, but he said, they may have cancelled it off.

Anyway, car was pull/test car directly from Mercedes, hasn't done a lot of miles, had been sitting around, so don't know whats best.

Cheers.

Well if I was going to keep that car I would have the A service and then gets some miles under the bonnet and then when the car tells you get a B service,it will look better when you come to sell it.

Most services are governed by time or mileage, 12 months or .....miles whatever is reached first. 12 months 100 miles first service. 24 months 120 miles 2nd service. Have a look in your handbooks that should explain things.
As above, if keeping do an A service, then at 24 months a B service. Then follow the book.:)

Last edited:
If it was manufactured in July 2016, it's 2.5 years old (nearly), not 18 months.

Servicing would normally r7n from date of 1st registration, and unless the newer A-classes ave changed it' v15,500 miles OR 12-month intervals, whivhever occurs first. It will be in the hanbook.

1st service is A, oil/filter change, check this/that etc., generally a pretty video of your car and a 'free' cup of coffee.
2nd service is a B, as above plus pollen filter and brake fluid and more £££s

By missing the first service by more than one month that will generally invalidate the manufacturer's warranty. Was car sold as 'new' or Approved Used? If the later, it can only generally be sold as such if it has a correct MB service history.

If it was mine, I would have oil/filter changed and brake fluid. I wouldn't bother with pollen filter at such a low mileage, although I have had the dealer insist on changing pollen filter after 1,600 miles (but 2 years) because computer says it must be done. Common sense is no longer used.

"Picked up the car from Mercedes today"!! If it's MB Used Approved they should have sorted the service before selling it to you - and at 2 1/2 years old, despite the low mileage, that's a B service. I'd have strong words with the MB dealer that sold it to you.

Actually, @Chrishazle is right. Surely if it was bought from Mercedes then they should have serviced it?
I picked up an slc a few weeks ago - just due a first service from an independant dealer. They had it seviced at Mercedes at their cost, no question.

I always thought that (a) a car can only be sold as approved used if it has complete service history, and (b) the car should not be due a service for at least 3 months from the date of sale, or else the dealer would have it serviced at their cost prior to delivery.

I am pretty certain that if the car was sold as approved used, and the date of first registration is more than one year ago, you could even reject it for being 'not as described' (based on the approved used information), though you might not want to do that if you want to keep it...

The question is not simply what are the mechanical implications of not servicing a car for 2.5 years.

The key points are that (a) it will affect resell value, and (b) it will void the manufacturer's warranty, of which there's still 8 months left.

So I would check the date of first registration, and if it's more than one year ago then I would have strong words with the dealer.

In the first instance they should carry-our a B service asap including brake fluid and pollen filter change FOC, and then they should provide you with an extended warranty FOC.

And don't let them fob you off with 'low mileage' - it does not come into it.

PS - is it possible that the services were carried out but not actually registered on the electronic service book....?

Bearing in mind, it's only done 939 miles from new, however, the car was manufactured in July 2016, so it's around 15 months old.

Guy said, due to it's age, it's missed both an A and a B service, but, due to the miles done, it wouldn't be due one yet ??!! (confused.com).

So, from experience, would you A) do the services now due to the age of the car, or b) wait until the car alerts you when they're ready, that's what my other A-Class did, think the first was around 5k miles.

When was car actually first registered? That's the point where the clock normally starts ticking on the servicing.

I think the reality is that if it hasn't been serviced then there isn't really an issue as regards condition. However as regards the warranty and any future goodwill then you need to ensure that the car has a service record that won't invalidate or disadvantage you with either of those.

It seems remiss of the dealer not to ensure that the car is 'clean' as regards servicing. They need to reassure you that as supplied to you that the car is compliant with their service schedule requirements and that you are not disadvantaged as regards manufacturer and AU warranty and future goodwill. If they can't do this *in writing* then consider rejecting the car.

....They need to reassure you that as supplied to you that the car is compliant with their service schedule requirements and that you are not disadvantaged as regards manufacturer and AU warranty and future goodwill. If they can't do this *in writing* then consider rejecting the car.

^^^^^^^
This

When was car actually first registered? That's the point where the clock normally starts ticking on the servicing.

I think the reality is that if it hasn't been serviced then there isn't really an issue as regards condition. However as regards the warranty and any future goodwill then you need to ensure that the car has a service record that won't invalidate or disadvantage you with either of those.

It seems remiss of the dealer not to ensure that the car is 'clean' as regards servicing. They need to reassure you that as supplied to you that the car is compliant with their service schedule requirements and that you are not disadvantaged as regards manufacturer and AU warranty and future goodwill. If they can't do this *in writing* then consider rejecting the car.
If the manufacture date of July 2016 isn’t a typo (although it seems it was as 15 months makes it July 2017) then surely the break fluid needs to have been changed by the selling dealer - in the past Merc have insisted I pay for a change annually - “brake fluid is hygroscopic sir”.

Yes indeed, you need to have a serious conversation with your MB dealer.

The OP bought the car from a private dealer, not MB.

MB wont be interested in any warranty issues.

The OP bought the car from a private dealer, not MB.

MB wont be interested in any warranty issues.
He says he picked the car up from Mercedes which is why other posts refer to it being an Approved Mercedes

Actually, @Chrishazle is right. Surely if it was bought from Mercedes then they should have serviced it?
I picked up an slc a few weeks ago - just due a first service from an independant dealer. They had it seviced at Mercedes at their cost, no question.

No, it wasn't bought directly from Mercede's, it was bought from an independent dealer. At the time, I assumed being low mileage, that it's first service wasn't even due, but, wasn't aware it went on age also.

Like I say, the car looks/feels brand new, however, I know that doesn't help with things like warranties etc.

For sanity, I may just book it in and have the A & B services done.

Reactions: Ted
In this case.... the car is due an A Service in year 1, and a B-Service plus brake fluid change and pollen filter change in year 2.

So depending on how old it actually is, you will need to either carry-out the A Service now, or if it's two years old (or more) then jump forward straight to the B Service.

With regards warranty, MB usually allow for a scheduled service to lapse by up to 30 days without affecting the warranty. So if the service was/is overdue by more than 30 days, then there may be issues in the event of a w warranty claim, but either way you are where you are... so no need to worry about this now. Just get the car back on track in terms of servicing.

But.... I am still wondering if the car has actually been serviced, but it wasn't documented? My current W204 was on sale at a dealer as 4 years old car with no service history. It was the car I wanted from any other aspect... so I had a quick look, saw fresh honey-coloured oil and brand new front discs and pads, 9000 miles to next service on the dash, and realised that it was unlikely that the car has not been serviced. I took the chance and bought it, then drove straight to the nearest MB dealer who printed-out an exemplary main dealer service history, with the last service being a B Service carried out 4 months earlier :thumb: - the selling dealer was just being lazy and couldn't be bothered to obtain the history from MB....

No, it wasn't bought directly from Mercede's, it was bought from an independent dealer. At the time, I assumed being low mileage, that it's first service wasn't even due, but, wasn't aware it went on age also.

Like I say, the car looks/feels brand new, however, I know that doesn't help with things like warranties etc.

For sanity, I may just book it in and have the A & B services done.

Thanks for the extra info. So not an Approved Used car which means the comments about MB dealer responsibility aren't relevant.

Best to speak to a MB dealer as its still may be under warranty. If the cost of getting the warranty is a B service then that is probably reasonable value. And would get you Mobilo breakdown cover as well.

If they confirm that the manufacturer's warranty has been invalidated because the service schedule has been violated and that it cannot be reinstated then then that clarifies your position and reduces the value of a dealer service. And that also means likely no Mobilo cover - so breakdown recovery cover won't be provided. I would still consider getting is serviced. It should just need a B service. I would be inclined to just take the pain of the cost and get it done at a dealer fairly soon - certainly before the MOT is due. It gets the car checked out and sets it up with some sort of history.

Even if you don't have a warranty you effectively have what is a new car - and the balance of the manufacturer's warranty wasn't much anyway. Assuming you are not covered by Mobilo then consider getting cover from the likes of Green Flag, AA, or RAC or through your bank or insurer.

Enjoy.

But.... I am still wondering if the car has actually been serviced, but it wasn't documented? .

At the mileage and age and condition stated by the OP - I would guess the car has been bought and then not used because of changed circumstances (old age and infirmity, illness, divorce, emigration). In which case nobody looking after the service schedule.

On a couple of occasions I've seen older relatives and friends buy a new car in their late 70s and then only stick a thousand miles per year on the car as their level of activity has dropped.

We sold my wife's 2005 Renault Scenic II in 2013, with 14,000 miles on the clock..... I don't think that her car has ever been on a Motorway under her ownership.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom