First six months with my SL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merc220cls

SUPPORTER
Car
220 CLS Shooting Brake & 350 SL
On 1st May this year I had a grin like a “Cheshire Cat” quite literally as I had just collected my 2004 350 SL with just 7800 from new at Christopher Jackson in Alderley Edge “Cheshire”
Earlier that morning we flew down from Glasgow arriving before Christopher had opened up and had to be back home in Ayrshire as I had a meeting the same evening.
It was a nice sunny day and I was tempted to put the roof down but as the “boss” was with me and she likes the heat I decided against it. I drove her cautiously most of the way as I wanted to monitor everything just in case but I needn’t have worried as the car drove like it was new.
Over the following days I gave the car a thorough check over with all four wheels off and the underside given a power wash, not that it was that dirty but that’s just me. It still has the original Continental tyres which were given a full check over and I’ve now done just over 2k with them but I plan to fit new tyres in the spring. I’m thinking along the lines of holding on to the original wheels & tyres and fitting a new set of wheels & tyres, ( the jury’s still out on that )
We have been lucky with the weather so most of the 2000 miles covered since purchase have been with the roof down and I have to say the comfort (warmth) has surpassed my expectations. Even on a dreich day the car is toasty warm with the hood down, even the “boss” agrees with me on this.

I have had very few issues with the car, replacing the dud alarm unit then just a few weeks back when the auto box sprung a leak I got it fully serviced and at the same time a new electric connector seal fitted. I had planned to get the gearbox serviced during the winter break as I have now placed it on SORN.
Just prior to my purchase a new MB starter battery (2018) was fitted and I note that a new auxiliary battery had been fitted in 2006 which believe it or not is still working ok but I have a Cetek charger coupled up to it to keep it conditioned. I may have to replace it soon though as I have the “Cetek traffic light connectors” coupled to both batteries for quick access and note the auxiliary battery goes to red within a short time while standing if un coupled.
I’ve also made up a spacer holding block to hold the roof in the semi open position to check and clean all the seals and drains which again are still as new.

The car has been an absolute pleasure to drive and at 15 years old it still looks and drives like new. One thing I have to watch is recently driving at night I am forgetting to dip my lights being used to the intelligent lights on the CLS.
Being me I’ve made up a portfolio of the cars history wher I even managed to get the previous owners details which were left with the car. Under new data protection this info is no longer available but In the portfolio I also have copies of all the Main Dealer services (annually) and every MOT plus full 12 month tax discs right up to 2015 when we went paperless.
The car is now SORN’d and over the coming days will be washed down and dried then tucked away under the new cover I’ve been promised as a birthday treat so maybe now I’ll get time to organise some photos on here.
My past history with cars have been predominantly Austin Rover, BL And MG Rover and Jaguar as I worked within the Main Dealer so I never thought I would move away and join the Mercedes fold, but after a very difficult time with both Jaguar and their local Main Dealer I decided to change and haven’t regretted it so far even though the MB Main Dealer has their foibles, I’ve found a very good local independent to carry out my service requirements for the SL and my 2017 CLS Shooting Brake now with 15k miles and is also a fantastic car but that’s another story.

Thank you for reading on my experience with my SL

Good to hear that the 'new' car is living up to expectations - it's a nice feeling when it all comes together. Personally, I think that age range of SL is the best looking of all (sorry 'classic' guys). One of my friends has a few SL's of varying vintage and he likes his 'Bobby Ewing' model best of all, but I much prefer the styling of your model.

Hope you continue to enjoy it.

What a pleasurable item to read! I suppose that there are lots of us with such positive experiences but don't get around to writing about them. I just love my SL 350. In fact I have loved both SLs that I have owned this year. I bought the first (2007 regd) in March, did the North Coast 500, enjoyed it so much that I bought a newer 2010 model. The 2007 car went to an enthusiast who had owned two previously. I have now done 3K miles in the current car ending my pre-SORN season with a few days touring from North Wales to Pembrokeshire. No niggles or issues with either of the cars but both were below 40K miles with full MB/Indie service records.

Now looking forward to the spring!

PS
What size are your wheels? If they are 18" I would stick with them. The 2007 car had 19" rims with consequently poorer ride quality

Interesting read - thanks for the update. I'm intending to buy my third R230 this winter.

Tyres at 15 years old should be replaced - manufacturers recommend that they be replaced at 10 years old The date of tyre manufacture is stamped on the side of the tyre. Earlier this year I replaced the tyres on my wife's "new" 2004 Mx5 which were 22,000 miles / 15 years old. There was a tangible improvement in handling, and probably a major safety improvement.

Re tyre sizes, I'm sure you're not on 19's, but be aware than the standard 17's on your SL350 are noticeably more comfy than the 18's which are a tempting cosmetic upgrade.

I agree with what you say about the tyres and normally I would have replaced them earlier but credit to Continental they are still in good order and the grip on corners is still very good not that I’m a fast driver.
The first thing I did with the car was to remove the wheels and carried out a full rotation inspection. There’s no cracking whatsoever on both sidewalls and only minuscule cracking deep down in the tread.
I’ve seen tyres much younger in a worse condition.

The car has obviously been dry stored inside therefore avoiding any UV damage.
I replaced my caravan tyres a couple of years back still with ample tread but the sidewalls were showing slight signs of cracking.
I also take on board the ride quality, I’m currently on 17” and the wheels I’m looking at are 18” which deters me slightly. Our CLS is sitting on 19” rims but being a longer wheelbase the ride is not too bad.
My last car, a Jaguar XF also had 19” rims with low profile tyres which made the ride a bit harsh especially on our local roads full of potholes.
At least I’ve got over the winter to reach a decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom