First tank of fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
With just over a month to go now until my next SLK arrives, I've been wondering about the first tank of fuel that the dealership will provide. Having run my current SLK almost exclusively on Shell V-Power (and Optimax before that), I'd like to continue the tradition with the new one. Does one usually get a say in what type of fuel goes in at the first tankful, or will it just be filled up as cheaply as possible at the local supermarket? :eek:

I know this is essentially something I need to discuss with my dealership, and I will do so in due course, but I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else has managed to secure the fuel of their choosing.

Although my new car is a diesel, it was filled with £50 of Shell diesel despite the dealership being next door to a Morrison's Supermarket with a petrol station attached.

I know this because I had to go to the Shell garage with the salesperson on my test drive due to the demonstrator having very little fuel.

Will do no harm to ask. £50 of fuel is £50 of fuel after all.

I'm sure if you ask them to provide V Power they will tell you they have ;).

With just over a month to go now until my next SLK arrives, I've been wondering about the first tank of fuel that the dealership will provide. Having run my current SLK almost exclusively on Shell V-Power (and Optimax before that), I'd like to continue the tradition with the new one. Does one usually get a say in what type of fuel goes in at the first tankful, or will it just be filled up as cheaply as possible at the local supermarket? :eek:

I know this is essentially something I need to discuss with my dealership, and I will do so in due course, but I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else has managed to secure the fuel of their choosing.

:ban:

Really......................seriously.................

A lot of us have probably been wondering where the money for our next tank of fuels coming from....

:)

Last edited:
I wonder if the factory uses Mobil...?

MOCAŠ said:
Does one usually get a say in what type of fuel goes in at the first tankful, or will it just be filled up as cheaply as possible at the local supermarket?
No, and Yes - in that order. It won't be a full tank of fuel either.

If the car requires 98 RON then that's what the car should be delivered with, but which brand will probably depend upon te supplying dealer - based upon proximity or with whom they have an account.

I'd suggest mentioning it to your sales person, and ask whether it's supplied with 98 RON, and which brand. If it's not V-Power then there's our opportunity to ask.

The sales person could always fib, and if they do, then it won't harm the car in any way and you'll be none the wiser. You can run it low until your first fill and use V-Power thereafter.

You could always ring RAC/AA 'fuel assist', and have the tank fully drained at the showroom to be on the safe side... ;)

I mean, ignoring the PDI fuelling, what on earth could they have used for the initial run at the factory in Germany??? :eek:

:thumb:

Why not just ask them to put the bear minimum in and you then run it around to the nearest Shell station......

I'm now in to week 3 on my car and the first tank of fuel is all but a distant memory.

nb. I like Vlad's suggestion.

Just take whatever they give you, one tankful won't do any harm and hopefully you'll feel the difference when you put v-power in and be satisfied that it has been money well spent all these years.

LTD said:
Although my new car is a diesel, it was filled with £50 of Shell diesel despite the dealership being next door to a Morrison's Supermarket with a petrol station attached.

I know this because I had to go to the Shell garage with the salesperson on my test drive due to the demonstrator having very little fuel.

Will do no harm to ask. £50 of fuel is £50 of fuel after all.

Bet that's because they have an account with the shell station, nothing more!

Shouldn't this be in the trivia or joke section ?

Thinking about it, the nearest fuel station to Hughes is in fact a Shell station. And if they put in a specific value these days rather than a full tank, then asking them to use V-Power shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

If this element of the delivery prep worries you...what about the man with gritty sponge and bucket full of cheapo detergent who'll be scouring the delivery residue off...
sorry, only envious- relax and enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom