Firsttime Benzer need help with tranny swap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a1jatt

Car
1989 190D
I just bought a 2.5 litter 1989 190d from an auction and tranmission the transmission is shot. I am in canada. i have tried every junkjard possible but cant find a transmission for it. Does anybody know if i can stick a 190E transmission with some mods??? is there any other transmissions that will fit to it?? how about 240D , 300D ro sd or td transmissions?? will they fit?

Thankyou very much in advance for your input.

1) im surprised the tranny (i assume you mean gearbox) is 'shot' - i suspect it needs a good clean and new filters

2) if it is shot - i think (but i may be wrong) that the petrol and diesel ones are v similar (its the diff thats different)

3) i hope it was VERY cheap :)

guydewdney said:
1) im surprised the tranny (i assume you mean gearbox) is 'shot' - i suspect it needs a good clean and new filters

2) if it is shot - i think (but i may be wrong) that the petrol and diesel ones are v similar (its the diff thats different)

3) i hope it was VERY cheap :)

THanks for the reply.
Yes i meant automatic transmission ( gearbox) and it is broken down. I took it apart the other day. In the oilpan i found pieces of a broken gear. Theni took valve body off. seems like it is not one of the actual gears, instead it is either governer or some other gear from the back portion of the gearbox.

nothing is cheap. i asked one wrecker to put it on hotline (network). somebody from US replied and he was asking $1600 just for the tranny.

Is there anybody else who can verify that petrol one will fit??
I found one pertol 190E that i can pick up for only $500. SO it will be very helpful for me. Thanks in advance.

Gearboxes that will fit your car can be found in Petrol / Diesel W201 and W124's. Avoid the box from the Coupe as its higher geared. The ideal box would, in my opinion, be from a W124 Estate. Hope it helps. Another thought, maybe Guy may know, but what about the box from a W123? Shame you are not closer as I have a spare box from a W124 Estate.

Thanks for the reply. It is helpful.
so 190E ie w201 sedan should fit. Are there any differences at all between petrol and diesel gearboxes? do i need to do any mods? any adjustments?

a1jatt said:
Thanks for the reply. It is helpful.
so 190E ie w201 sedan should fit. Are there any differences at all between petrol and diesel gearboxes? do i need to do any mods? any adjustments?

Not that I know of but hopefully other forum members here will advise. I am led to believe that the only difference is in the ratios of the rear diff. Good luck.

Ian, why is the coupe's box higher geared ?

Howard I can only guess at the fact (found by me at weekend, was I suprised or what ;) ) that the M111 engine is 16 valve twin cam. Its more responsive than a 103 engine. Plus the fact that the Coupe is supposed to be a sports car with hat on.

Hmmm is a 230ce 16 valve ? i thought it was 12 ..... :confused:

Dont really understand this.....

Howard said:
Hmmm is a 230ce 16 valve ? i thought it was 12 ..... :confused:

Dont really understand this.....

Howard according to my book (not Haynes :D ) the E230 is a 4 cyl 8 valve engine and the E220 is a 4 cyl 16 valve jobbie. Makes you wonder why? I dont know.

Ian B Walker said:
Howard according to my book (not Haynes :D ) the E230 is a 4 cyl 8 valve engine and the E220 is a 4 cyl 16 valve jobbie. Makes you wonder why? I dont know.

my guess would be a more efficient slightly lower capacity engine would fall into different tax/emision classification in some countries.

Andy

Ian B Walker said:
Howard I can only guess at the fact (found by me at weekend, was I suprised or what ;) ) that the M111 engine is 16 valve twin cam. Its more responsive than a 103 engine. Plus the fact that the Coupe is supposed to be a sports car with hat on.

But how do know it's not just the diff that's geared a bit higher?

Dieselman said:
But how do know it's not just the diff that's geared a bit higher?

Valid point and to be honest I cant answer that one. When accelerating hard it tends to hold the gears longer than the Saloon and the compared speed seems to be higher. You may be quite right, you usually are (no sarcasm intended, honest statement).

a twin cam should always feel more responsive than a single cam engine, two cams doing the work literally halves the load on them so the engine can rev that little bit more freely. same for a 16 valve engine, because the valves are smaller they work more efficiently - just out of interest what is the red line on the engine?

My guess is that the M111 engine is a few horsepower up on the M103 and that linked with the stuff above would account for the difference in the way it feels.

Andy

Andy they both red line at 6100rpm

the 260E produces 118kw at 5800rpm
the coupe 110kw at 5500rpm

andy_k said:
a twin cam should always feel more responsive than a single cam engine, two cams doing the work literally halves the load on them so the engine can rev that little bit more freely. same for a 16 valve engine, because the valves are smaller they work more efficiently - just out of interest what is the red line on the engine?

My guess is that the M111 engine is a few horsepower up on the M103 and that linked with the stuff above would account for the difference in the way it feels.

Andy

The point of sixteen valves or four per cylinder is that it increases the valve area so creates better breathing at higher revs. This allows more air in so more power can be created.

Twin cam is usually used for four valve engines for simplicity and adaptability.

Might well be wrong, but I was under the impression that the 2.2 16v was just a more modern engine, as a replacement for the aging 2.3?

IIRC the 2.2 is more efficient and more powerful than the 2.3 8v unit before it.

Didn't the old 230CE get replaced by the 2.2 and known as an E220 'coupe' or something like that?

Will

Will said:
Might well be wrong, but I was under the impression that the 2.2 16v was just a more modern engine, as a replacement for the aging 2.3?

IIRC the 2.2 is more efficient and more powerful than the 2.3 8v unit before it.

Didn't the old 230CE get replaced by the 2.2 and known as an E220 'coupe' or something like that?

Will

Erm...

Yes, yes and yes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom