Fish "Conservatory"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slartibartfast

SUPPORTER
Car
W221 S350L, R231 SL350, SL400
I recently built a raised pond and have "installed" a Fish Conservatory in it. Well actually it is an acrylic light globe that sits on the surface which the fish love to frequent. The water in the globe gets warmer than the water in the pond and the fish seem to like it. It's quite a conversation point when we have guests over (now that we're allowed).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Visitor

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Not that I’m condoning it in any way or form but a friend of mine has a massive pool and was getting raided by a heron on a daily basis so strung a live cable round the perimeter. Heron came down and landed on it and because he wasn’t grounded mr heron just sat there slowly selecting his breakfast then boom!!! His beak touched the water and he was fried like a chicken.

Not that I’m condoning it in any way or form but a friend of mine has a massive pool and was getting raided by a heron on a daily basis so strung a live cable round the perimeter. Heron came down and landed on it and because he wasn’t grounded mr heron just sat there slowly selecting his breakfast then boom!!! His beak touched the water and he was fried like a chicken.
I know that you aren't condoning your friends actions but the heron is a protected species under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, with fines or prison sentences available for anyone killing or attempting to kill one. I know it can be annoying and frustrating if a heron is fishing in your pond, but there are ways to protect the fish without harming the heron. It is a magnificent bird but can also be annoying!

Those fishes days are numbered with that Heron, a couple of months ago one ate my mates entire fishpond (far deeper than the one in the video) within 5mins.

Might want to invest in some type of netting.

Those fishes days are numbered with that Heron, a couple of months ago one ate my mates entire fishpond (far deeper than the one in the video) within 5mins.

There was a net on the pond when the heron visited. That's why he didn't fish. He did nick a few previously but now I net every night and remove in the morning (only takes a minute to do). :)

We’ve NEVER wanted a fish pond until we clicked on your thread. That’s an awesome looking focal point you have there. Very modern looking. Not like the old style grubby looking ponds that are dug into the ground.

Stunning garden you have there, especially by nighttime. 👏👏👏

Its really got us thinking. Thanks for sharing. 👍

My friends dad built a conservatory and built a fish pond beside it and he made it in such a way where the pond came inside through a wall into the conservatory, they too had to put net up because of mr heron

As this is a garden pond i thought a joke about herbs and fish would be appropriate but this isn’t the thyme or the plaice.

I was told by a very wise man that the easiest way to deter a Heron is to "Rope off" the pond using wire or even string about a foot off the ground, a Heron will not land on water, but will walk into it, but it won't climb over a wire or string fence!😉

That bauble thing is well cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom