Fish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA2

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
Living as I do in the sticks in about as landlocked a position as you can get in this island of ours, I have difficulty in sourcing decent fish.
What I'm looking for is a reliable, reputable outfit that delivers. Now this can be line caught on day-boats with overnight delivery or frozen if processed within 12 hours of catch and not stored for 12 months before dispatch. Believe me it does happen.

The main fish I am interested in are Turbot, Bass and good Sole but also the more day to day Hake and Cod etc. No farmed fish though. I'd also like access to good supply of assorted crustaceans.

William Black used to have such an outfit but he no longer does it and I can't find anybody similar who has filled his niche, outside London that is.

If anybody knows of a good supplier I'd be very grateful.

I get the occasional big bass and sole when I go fishing and you are welcome to them, but not sure if the couriers would take them:crazy:

I get the occasional big bass and sole when I go fishing and you are welcome to them, but not sure if the couriers would take them:crazy:

What a generous offer...for a decent Bass I'd drive to Kent and bring you a bottle of Veuve...:bannana:

What a generous offer...for a decent Bass I'd drive to Kent and bring you a bottle of Veuve...:bannana:

Sounds like a deal in the near future then.
Most of the bass I catch on my mates boat round the coast are 9 - 10lb;)

(Don't tell glojo though;) ;) )

So, other than Grav we seem to be a bit short of ichthyophiles........or maybe people are guarding thier secret sources....:eek:

Fleetwood Fish Dock on a Sunday morning is said to be quite economical ;)

Currently reading War and Peace while the server posts my reply :mad:

Well you guys talk Tolstoy while I dream of a fat turbot delivered to my door...

Living as I do in the sticks in about as landlocked a position as you can get in this island of ours, I have difficulty in sourcing decent fish.
What I'm looking for is a reliable, reputable outfit that delivers. Now this can be line caught on day-boats with overnight delivery or frozen if processed within 12 hours of catch and not stored for 12 months before dispatch. Believe me it does happen.

The main fish I am interested in are Turbot, Bass and good Sole but also the more day to day Hake and Cod etc. No farmed fish though. I'd also like access to good supply of assorted crustaceans.

William Black used to have such an outfit but he no longer does it and I can't find anybody similar who has filled his niche, outside London that is.

If anybody knows of a good supplier I'd be very grateful.

Years ago I struck up a good relationship with the owner of my local fish and chip shop, and he supplied me with all kinds of fish including swordfish and shark. When his delivery came he would cut off a few portions, freeze them and sell them to me next time I was in the shop.

Mind you, it was a pretty exotic fish and chip shop, and it was funny to see people rolling out of the pub at 11:00 PM on a Saturday and ordering shark, chips and mushy peas. "Do you want a roll and butter with that?"

This was in Wallasey, Merseyside.

I have asked the boss to acquire some. With what shall it accompany? :eek:

To paraphrase Mrs Beaton.....first find your fish.....see my opening post..:D

If I find one I'll let you know. As far as I'm aware there isn't a Fishmonger in P'borough, and Waitrose don't sell 'em.....:mad:

That said, you can accompany it with just about anything, but I like it fairly simple with good flavoursome totties, something like truffe de chine:

see:

http://www.easylivingmagazine.com/Food/KnowHow/Potatoes/Default.aspx

Speciality potatoes

There are a growing number of more unusual - often older or heirloom - varieties, but you still might have to search them out in markets or farm shops. Most are good simply boiled or roasted and served with herbs and butter.

Varieties include: La Ratte, Pink Fir Apple, Arran's Choice, Truffe de Chine

All of these are tasty tasty, quite seasonal, and can usually be had at Waitrose :) unlike the fish:mad:

Bon Appétit......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom