Fisker EMotion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its already acknowledged that if half (or less) than the people living in an average UK street had a Tesla and they all tried to put them on charge the UK power grid would fail under the load. So it's a good job they are so bloody expensive that most can't afford them.

The current flow for 1 min charge would be so high it couldn't be possible unless you happen to have an electricity pylon in your back garden. Then the battery has to be able to accept that charge rate. Sounds more dangerous than an F1 pit stop refueling.

Let's be really generous, assume it is really efficient. Range of 400 miles suggests a battery pack of say 100kWh. To charge that in 1 minute requires 100kW x 60 = 6MW, which as has been noted, is just nonsense.

These sort of daft figures do nobody any favours I don't think.

What they don't seem to say is what amount of energy is being put in within that 1 minute period....which would be kind of helpful, as clearly, it can't possibly be a full charge for a vehicle with a range of 400 miles.

9 minutes for 125 miles is reasonable though. Again, some guesstimates. 5 miles/kWh, 125 miles = 25kWh. 25kWh in 9 minutes = 167kW - that's certainly plausible, so finagle that to 150kW, say, which is a current(!) standard.

Even now, Tesla owners can see initial Supercharger charge rates of 340 miles charge per hour of charge, although that doesn't stay up there for long apparently. 200 mcph seems more common.

350kW chargers exist and are being installed, up to 475kW units are being talked about. Makes for some scary currents though.

There are lots of nay-sayers and doom merchants, but it is possible to envision a future where there are lots of high capacity chargers installed all over the shop. These invariably have to include large battery packs in order to supply these huge spikes of power, so what you end up with is a very large amount of battery packs connected to the grid, gently filling up, ready to charge cars. This is happening right now, albeit it slowly. What a great way to even out electricity demand and soak up excess, as well as make up for shortfalls in generation from time to time.

The barriers to that aren't really technical - the stuff already exists, principally a matter of scale, and that is mostly political/financial I think. There other issues of course, mostly around the rare-earth metals used in batteries, but manufacturers are working on that.

I saw an interesting demo of an alternative design of Lithium Ion battery the other day. It uses a plastic electrolyte/barrier rather than liquid, which means it can be crushed/punctured/cut without catching fire. It even continued to supply power after most of it had been cut away. Very prototype at this stage, so no guarantee it can be scaled up, but it looked promising. Also, as it uses a solid membrane, it was able to use solid metal lithium as the electrode, meaning it could offer twice the energy density of the more common chemistry that uses ionic lithium in a carbon substrate.

Most of the time, I wish my C350e was fully electric, particularly considering how crap the ICE sounds when it fires up. I'm sure I'd be less bothered if it was nice sounding V

These super-fast charge times are based on the graphene tech batteries. Many reports of success, some talking of recharging EV batteries whilst stopped at traffic lights!

Electric cars could use another big battery breakthrough — this CEO says he’s got it

All to do with the development of solid state batteries evidently. Projected time scales vary but difficult to predict if you factor in possible technological breakthros V slow but steady progress. The perceived demand for fast charging starts to reduce if range goes up. Move from 250 miles to 500 mile range and the need for urgent access to a charging point would markedly reduce for many owners.

There are lots of nay-sayers and doom merchants, but it is possible to envision a future where there are lots of high capacity chargers installed all over the shop. These invariably have to include large battery packs in order to supply these huge spikes of power, so what you end up with is a very large amount of battery packs connected to the grid, gently filling up, ready to charge cars. This is happening right now, albeit it slowly. What a great way to even out electricity demand and soak up excess, as well as make up for shortfalls in generation from time to time.

The barriers to that aren't really technical - the stuff already exists, principally a matter of scale, and that is mostly political/financial I think. There other issues of course, mostly around the rare-earth metals used in batteries, but manufacturers are working on that.
That's often talked about in the way to recycle EV batteries at their EOL, say after 8-9 years the battery doesn't hold 75% any more, which is where the car owner would want it replaced, it's still plenty to be used in a bank of batteries at a charging station.

I saw an interesting demo of an alternative design of Lithium Ion battery the other day. It uses a plastic electrolyte/barrier rather than liquid, which means it can be crushed/punctured/cut without catching fire. It even continued to supply power after most of it had been cut away. Very prototype at this stage, so no guarantee it can be scaled up, but it looked promising. Also, as it uses a solid membrane, it was able to use solid metal lithium as the electrode, meaning it could offer twice the energy density of the more common chemistry that uses ionic lithium in a carbon substrate.
I saw that! Think it was on Netflix, was interesting the see the physics of LiPo and LiIon, as I only knew the practical differences before. As with most things if there's a business need for something and funding available, science usually finds a new better way to do it - look at hybrid tech advance since F1 took it on. We'll have some amazing energy storage in 10 years.

Not unlike petrol/diesel stored underground and delivered when necessary by, err, lorries running on yet more diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom