Fitted a custom X-Pipe & decat to my C55 - well chuffed!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Movi-Star

Car
Black 2005 C55 AMG
Watch with a decent PC speaker system!!

‪MERCEDES C55 AMG 5.4 V8 X-PIPE + DECAT EXHAUST UK‬‏ - YouTube

After seeing the recent Y-Pipe decat being added to a C55 on here that finally spurred me on to get my X-Pipe made & fitted, I went for the X-Pipe crossover with 2 x 2.25" (rather than 1 x 2.75") thick pipes wrapped around the rear diff cooler rather than to the left side, the results are stunning, I soooo love that cold start up sound, driving it around is just plain insane :devil: when giving it some beans, 3rd gear it just immense pops like a good'un on overrun!

The design took 6 hours to fabricate and fit, the finishing is way better than I was expecting. The pictures show it without the "h" braceing which was added to give the exhaust a more rigid design just before where the backboxes connect.

The price was £400 fitted with lifetime guarantee from MIJ Exhausts in Walsall, highly recommended.

15072011265.jpg

15072011270.jpg

Time to go out and wake up the Sunday drivers!............

Could a stainless steel custom exhaust like that be made for a w202 c230k I wonder ........... ?

Watch with a decent PC speaker system!!

‪MERCEDES C55 AMG 5.4 V8 X-PIPE + DECAT EXHAUST UK‬‏ - YouTube

After seeing the recent Y-Pipe decat being added to a C55 on here that finally spurred me on to get my X-Pipe made & fitted, I went for the X-Pipe crossover with 2 x 2.25" (rather than 1 x 2.75") thick pipes wrapped around the rear diff cooler rather than to the left side, the results are stunning, I soooo love that cold start up sound, driving it around is just plain insane :devil: when giving it some beans, 3rd gear it just immense pops like a good'un on overrun!

The design took 6 hours to fabricate and fit, the finishing is way better than I was expecting. The pictures show it without the "h" braceing which was added to give the exhaust a more rigid design just before where the backboxes connect.

The price was £400 fitted with lifetime guarantee from MIJ Exhausts in Walsall, highly recommended.

15072011265.jpg

15072011270.jpg

Hi movi-star, your custom decatt exhaust looks fantastic & it sounds really great as well!! My initial research & discussions with individuals (Olly at Prestige, Chet at CKS etc.) previously lead me to believe that the X-pipe design was slightly more quieter than the Y-pipe design however, there is a lot of disagreement over which design gives the best power advantages?? It would be a great ideal to try & meet up sometime & compare my C55 decatt Y-pipe with your X-pipe design. You previously mentioned that you do drive through Finchley from time to time - which is where I'm based. Let me know if your free anytime soon.

do you have a pic of the OEM set up please?

They make many systems for many cars from scratch Im sure they could do yours.

Could a stainless steel custom exhaust like that be made for a w202 c230k I wonder ........... ?

Alright mate, Im at Trax Silverstone on the 4th September on the MBclub.co.uk stand (thread in the Shows section), could compare set-ups there.

I thought because there are 2 x 2.25" (4.5" total) of exhaust piping feeding the 2 mufflers the sound might be louder than the original 1 x 2.75".

Loudness was not my priority thou, it was a certain sound I was after, basically what the C63 sounded like I wanted!!

The noise when accelerating is mad, like thunder! :devil: I cant stop using paddleshift mode and drinking fuel quickly!! Im sure yours is just the same

Hi movi-star, your custom decatt exhaust looks fantastic & it sounds really great as well!! My initial research & discussions with individuals (Olly at Prestige, Chet at CKS etc.) previously lead me to believe that the X-pipe design was slightly more quieter than the Y-pipe design however, there is a lot of disagreement over which design gives the best power advantages?? It would be a great ideal to try & meet up sometime & compare my C55 decatt Y-pipe with your X-pipe design. You previously mentioned that you do drive through Finchley from time to time - which is where I'm based. Let me know if your free anytime soon.

Pic as requested.

01072011262.jpg

do you have a pic of the OEM set up please?

Pic as requested.

01072011262.jpg

apologies for the dumb questions ..

are the 2 little things in front of the big thing (I assume the silencer), the cats?

are they the front or the back cats?

They are the rear cats.

Blimey !! - That sounds 'Chunky' :rock:

Great sound, I bet a few people double take with the noise of that rumbling :thumb:

Wonder how loud it needs to be, to have a problem at MOT time?

Method of Inspection
assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle

Reason for rejection
a silencer in such a condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition

Nice sound indeed, but "pops" a bit too much for my liking. Could be because the back boxes flow more? Wonder also how that can get a MOT (not unless the tester has a hearing problem :D)

Alright mate, Im at Trax Silverstone on the 4th September on the MBclub.co.uk stand (thread in the Shows section), could compare set-ups there.

I thought because there are 2 x 2.25" (4.5" total) of exhaust piping feeding the 2 mufflers the sound might be louder than the original 1 x 2.75".

Loudness was not my priority thou, it was a certain sound I was after, basically what the C63 sounded like I wanted!!

The noise when accelerating is mad, like thunder! :devil: I cant stop using paddleshift mode and drinking fuel quickly!! Im sure yours is just the same

Hi Movi-star, I'm looking into coming along to Trax on the 4th Sept. so I hope to see you there. You maybe right concerning the 4.5" total piping that your exhaust has. I was also after a C63 sound that wasn't too loud but I was told that an x-pipe could & still can be fitted to my car to make the sound slightly more mellow?
I wouldn't say the sound is loud or intrusive now however and at only 83db (recorded on a trackday) a standard E92 M3 is louder at 88db! Looking forward to hopefully meeting you at Trax to compare! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom