Fitted a custom X-Pipe & decat to my C55 - well chuffed!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Movi-Star

Car
Black 2005 C55 AMG
Watch with a decent PC speaker system!!

‪MERCEDES C55 AMG 5.4 V8 X-PIPE + DECAT EXHAUST UK‬‏ - YouTube

After seeing the recent Y-Pipe decat being added to a C55 on here that finally spurred me on to get my X-Pipe made & fitted, I went for the X-Pipe crossover with 2 x 2.25" (rather than 1 x 2.75") thick pipes wrapped around the rear diff cooler rather than to the left side, the results are stunning, I soooo love that cold start up sound, driving it around is just plain insane :devil: when giving it some beans, 3rd gear it just immense pops like a good'un on overrun!

The design took 6 hours to fabricate and fit, the finishing is way better than I was expecting. The pictures show it without the "h" braceing which was added to give the exhaust a more rigid design just before where the backboxes connect.

The price was £400 fitted with lifetime guarantee from MIJ Exhausts in Walsall, highly recommended.

15072011265.jpg

15072011270.jpg

Time to go out and wake up the Sunday drivers!............

Could a stainless steel custom exhaust like that be made for a w202 c230k I wonder ........... ?

Watch with a decent PC speaker system!!

‪MERCEDES C55 AMG 5.4 V8 X-PIPE + DECAT EXHAUST UK‬‏ - YouTube

After seeing the recent Y-Pipe decat being added to a C55 on here that finally spurred me on to get my X-Pipe made & fitted, I went for the X-Pipe crossover with 2 x 2.25" (rather than 1 x 2.75") thick pipes wrapped around the rear diff cooler rather than to the left side, the results are stunning, I soooo love that cold start up sound, driving it around is just plain insane :devil: when giving it some beans, 3rd gear it just immense pops like a good'un on overrun!

The design took 6 hours to fabricate and fit, the finishing is way better than I was expecting. The pictures show it without the "h" braceing which was added to give the exhaust a more rigid design just before where the backboxes connect.

The price was £400 fitted with lifetime guarantee from MIJ Exhausts in Walsall, highly recommended.

15072011265.jpg

15072011270.jpg

Hi movi-star, your custom decatt exhaust looks fantastic & it sounds really great as well!! My initial research & discussions with individuals (Olly at Prestige, Chet at CKS etc.) previously lead me to believe that the X-pipe design was slightly more quieter than the Y-pipe design however, there is a lot of disagreement over which design gives the best power advantages?? It would be a great ideal to try & meet up sometime & compare my C55 decatt Y-pipe with your X-pipe design. You previously mentioned that you do drive through Finchley from time to time - which is where I'm based. Let me know if your free anytime soon.

do you have a pic of the OEM set up please?

They make many systems for many cars from scratch Im sure they could do yours.

Could a stainless steel custom exhaust like that be made for a w202 c230k I wonder ........... ?

Alright mate, Im at Trax Silverstone on the 4th September on the MBclub.co.uk stand (thread in the Shows section), could compare set-ups there.

I thought because there are 2 x 2.25" (4.5" total) of exhaust piping feeding the 2 mufflers the sound might be louder than the original 1 x 2.75".

Loudness was not my priority thou, it was a certain sound I was after, basically what the C63 sounded like I wanted!!

The noise when accelerating is mad, like thunder! :devil: I cant stop using paddleshift mode and drinking fuel quickly!! Im sure yours is just the same

Hi movi-star, your custom decatt exhaust looks fantastic & it sounds really great as well!! My initial research & discussions with individuals (Olly at Prestige, Chet at CKS etc.) previously lead me to believe that the X-pipe design was slightly more quieter than the Y-pipe design however, there is a lot of disagreement over which design gives the best power advantages?? It would be a great ideal to try & meet up sometime & compare my C55 decatt Y-pipe with your X-pipe design. You previously mentioned that you do drive through Finchley from time to time - which is where I'm based. Let me know if your free anytime soon.

Pic as requested.

01072011262.jpg

do you have a pic of the OEM set up please?

Pic as requested.

01072011262.jpg

apologies for the dumb questions ..

are the 2 little things in front of the big thing (I assume the silencer), the cats?

are they the front or the back cats?

Very nice mate, glad your enjoying the car.

Blimey !! - That sounds 'Chunky' :rock:

Great sound, I bet a few people double take with the noise of that rumbling :thumb:

Wonder how loud it needs to be, to have a problem at MOT time?

Method of Inspection
assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle

Reason for rejection
a silencer in such a condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition

Nice sound indeed, but "pops" a bit too much for my liking. Could be because the back boxes flow more? Wonder also how that can get a MOT (not unless the tester has a hearing problem :D)

Alright mate, Im at Trax Silverstone on the 4th September on the MBclub.co.uk stand (thread in the Shows section), could compare set-ups there.

I thought because there are 2 x 2.25" (4.5" total) of exhaust piping feeding the 2 mufflers the sound might be louder than the original 1 x 2.75".

Loudness was not my priority thou, it was a certain sound I was after, basically what the C63 sounded like I wanted!!

The noise when accelerating is mad, like thunder! :devil: I cant stop using paddleshift mode and drinking fuel quickly!! Im sure yours is just the same

Hi Movi-star, I'm looking into coming along to Trax on the 4th Sept. so I hope to see you there. You maybe right concerning the 4.5" total piping that your exhaust has. I was also after a C63 sound that wasn't too loud but I was told that an x-pipe could & still can be fitted to my car to make the sound slightly more mellow?
I wouldn't say the sound is loud or intrusive now however and at only 83db (recorded on a trackday) a standard E92 M3 is louder at 88db! Looking forward to hopefully meeting you at Trax to compare! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom