1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitted DAB to my S212 last week......

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by gIzzE, Jun 22, 2017.

1. gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E350 Sport Estate + ML350 (Both petrol, just trying to do my bit for planet earth)
    After 18 months in the E350 estate I finally got round to fitting DAB in it last week. Now I know DAB is low bitrate, but worth it for 5 Live without the constant AM noise that all Mercs tend to have.

DAB unit £100 eBay
    Harness £120 from davidsauto on eBay
    VW DAB arial for £12 on eBay.

Plug and Play and took around an hour to fit.

Seems to be a better reception than the factory fit aerial too as the DAB on my old car used to cut out up at the coast where as this is fine.

3 people like this.
  2. flowrider99

flowrider99 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL500 (R230) / Audi S5 Sportback
    Could you post links to what items you bought. Thanks

3. OP
    OP
    gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E350 Sport Estate + ML350 (Both petrol, just trying to do my bit for planet earth)
    This was the harness...

Mercedes DAB electrical loom NTG2.5 NTG4 NTG4.5 NTG5

This was the antenna...

FAKRA DAB+ ANTENNA AERIAL AUDI SKODA SEAT VW FORD MERCEDES BMW PORSCHE VAUXHALL | eBay

And this was the tuner for my car, 2009-2011 NTG4...
    [​IMG]

Obviously you need to make sure the DAB tuner matches the year for your car.

That harness in the picture takes the power from the original harness, you splice in, I bought one with a male and female quadlock connector on which made it easier. In hindsight though that is probably a better harness as 2 quadlocks behind the radio is a VERY tight fit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  4. bob6600

bob6600 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S210 E320 CDI
    No coding required?

5. OP
    OP
    gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    No coding.

Had to go into the engineer menu on the comand and turn on DAB, but that was all.

mattk1 and bob6600 like this.
  6. Scrote

Scrote Active Member

Car:
    E250 cdi
    Cheers for posting this info. is your car audio 20 with 6-disc changer? as if so I should be fairly safe buying same part number dab module since my car is 2010 s212....
    Can you please tell where you fitted the module, it sounds like behind the stereo? not footwell?
    p.s I see you in Norfolk.. anywhere near Attleborough? Cheers

7. Alfie

Alfie Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    W169 A class (loaded)
    It wont go behind the stereo.

Correct place is in the boot.

1 person likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Yeah, in Wymondham!

Mine is a late NTG 4 Comand, I bought both a silver and black one, the black one worked the silver didn't, so I just that that on again. Cost me £15 in fees, but more than happy to pay that so I had both when installing it.

9. Scrote

Scrote Active Member

Car:
    E250 cdi
    Very close by! So just to be clear, you fitted it under the silver cage in passenger footwell? how was the fit there? I have worked out I need A204 870 54 90, the same as you.

10. OP
    OP
    gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Yeah fit was fine, plenty of space.

1 person likes this.
  11. moog999

moog999 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350CDI S212
  12. Scrote

Scrote Active Member

Car:
    E250 cdi
    My Dab module arrived today, looking forward to fitting it on friday, couple of questions.. there were 2 aerial wires running to it, I presume one was to each rear side window on the estate... does the module pick the strongest signal, or is it a double tuner? (possibly not as the sticker doesn't state Doppeltuner like some I've seen...) either way, I'm wondering whether it would benefit from 2 aerials being fitted rather than 1 (I have ordered the one aerial gIzzE recommended). since they are cheap I might give 2 a try. as for the 3 electrical wires, just splice off from another MOST module, and I know brown is earth, but I'd like to know what voltage blue/black and red/green wires should be just so I can check voltages as a safety measure so I don't ruin the module...

13. OP
    OP
    gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    The wiring on mine came from the back of the radio, so it will just be 12v.

I just used one, left hand socket from memory, signal is fine.

The only two places I have had it drop out driving all over the UK is, as you come down St. Giles, passed the market and go down Exchange Street passed Jarrolds towards the St. Andrews Car Park, it dropped out for 1-2 seconds, and the other time was on the road down from Bath to Portsmouth, again stopped for about 4-5 seconds.

14. Scrote

Scrote Active Member

Car:
    E250 cdi
    Cheers, how long does it take to change stations? the only dab I have used is in a ford and there is quite a wait, about 4 seconds, when you select a different memorised station. I guess the other 2 wires must be a switched and a permanent?

15. Scrote

Scrote Active Member

Car:
    E250 cdi
    from I web search I have just found:
    Blue/Black wire = D2B Wakeup Power on signal for Fibre-Optic components
    Just need to find what the red/green wire officially is

16. Scrote

Scrote Active Member

Car:
    E250 cdi
    Sorry to keep posting on your thread but this could help somebody in future... I found this page http://www.infsq.co.uk/2015/10/merc...-5-retrofit-upgrade-with-existing-tv-antenna/
    and I found my spectacles to see the tiny numbers on the plug...

Pin 1: Ground (Brown)
    Pin 2: +12V Live (Red) (Red/green on w212)
    Pin 3: MOST Wake Up Signal (Pink) (blu/blk on w212) Pin4 Unused

Would still like to know what to expect on the Wakeup line, does it go 12v for a short while or all the time ignition is on or what?

17. OP
    OP
    gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Not sure, just take it off the head unit, you can't go wrong then.
    Unless you have another most device down there that you can take it from of course.

Dab will change instantly if it is on the same multiplex, so going from Radio 1 to Radio 5 etc, you get a 2 second delay if then going to say LBC on a different multiplex.

18. Scrote

Scrote Active Member

Car:
    E250 cdi
    Cheers, I’ve already been having a go this morning, I wired the 12v and wake up to the multimedia interface under the seat, space was tight under that footplate for the module but I have done it very tidily.the dab is plumbed into the MOST after the multimedia module which I suspect is as per factory.Now in engineering menu it is doing stuff under dab, I can see station names and various ‘ok’s etc but I have no dab when I cycle around sw/mw/lw/fm using the radio button. it is still missing. I could not find a simple option to turn dab ‘on’... any suggestions?

19. OP
    OP
    gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    It is under the section where you tell it whether you have TV, DAB etc. I can't remember where it is though. I always struggle to find it even when I am in there.
    It is there though.

20. Scrote

Scrote Active Member

Car:
    E250 cdi
    Yes but mine is different to your Comand, I only have Audio20, can't see it anywhere!