Fitted my Bilstein B8 shockers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickythemerc

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 220 CDI Sport 2009
As my N/S/R shocker was on the way out I bought a pair of Bilstein B8's. Got round to fitting them yesterday and the difference is very noticeable, the lurch from the N/S/R has gone and the back end feels a lot tighter in the twisty bits. I am now wondering if I should change the front struts for B8's ?? Or am I over thinking things. The car is on 114000 so I guess they are well into their useful life. How much have I to gain by changing them ? I don't know, certainly can't be a backward step and at some point they will fail. :dk: What do you chaps think ?

No brainer , surprised you did just one axle considering B8 are shortened uprated .

Reactions: HB
Well I have just ordered Bilstein B8 struts for the front end, I already have the new Lemforder roll bar links to fit. So now I need to decide on what to do spring wise. I replaced all four 7 or 8 thousand miles back. Do I stick with them, they are genuine MB or do I fit Eibach.....??? Then do I fit powerflex ARB bushes ???

The fronts are already shortened and uprated with it being AMG line.

That's correct and correct for the corrosponding oe Bilstein B4 damper , however B8 is shorter and more uprated still .

As my N/S/R shocker was on the way out I bought a pair of Bilstein B8's. Got round to fitting them yesterday and the difference is very noticeable, the lurch from the N/S/R has gone and the back end feels a lot tighter in the twisty bits. I am now wondering if I should change the front struts for B8's ?? Or am I over thinking things. The car is on 114000 so I guess they are well into their useful life. How much have I to gain by changing them ? I don't know, certainly can't be a backward step and at some point they will fail. :dk: What do you chaps think ?
Listen to Gaz.

Power flex bushes are a good upgrade whilst you have it all apart.
(They will locate the arb better, and so sharpen up handling, adding to the bilstein improvements)
at 114k your arb bushes are probably toast anyway.

.... and then I’d get sidetracked doing the ARB in satin black....

(I did all of this on my Subaru Legacy GTB ) :cool:

ps Bilstein can also refurb their shocks, - a guy on the legacy forum used to do a service powder coating the shock, then send it to Bilstein for the internals.

The travel length of the damper needs to match the spring's travel, otherwise the damper won't be effective in controlling the spring's resonance. But the length of the damper does not affect the ride height, only the springs do.

I'm looking to replace the shocks on my 2013 w204 C220 that has the sport suspension with Bilstein b8's so I look forward to seeing how yours is with the fronts changed too.

And of course don't forget that the spring pads will affect and change the ride height 👍

So if just replacing the shocks would B6 be a better option? I've had a look and maybe a B12 kit would be an option as it would only lower the car by 10/15mm and I catch on some speed bumps as it is.

It's a hard call as hensteeth set up on these for feedback .

Perhaps despite being lower , but wouldn't compress as much .

Well I have ordered the B8 fronts today, just need a think on what springs to go for. I think from what I have read Eibach seem to offer the best compromise between ride quality and handling. Will have sleep on it and decide then.

No need to think about it , they're the ones .

Effectively if done all around Eibach Pro kit springs will Billy B8 you'll have a Bilstein B12 Pro kit .

A chap with a highly tuned Audi A4 3.0 TDI Avant put H&R on and found them unbearable , Eibach was the answer .

So if just replacing the shocks would B6 be a better option? I've had a look and maybe a B12 kit would be an option as it would only lower the car by 10/15mm and I catch on some speed bumps as it is.
So the B6 and B8 are the same shock in different sizes.

Yes
No need to think about it , they're the ones .

Effectively if done all around Eibach Pro kit springs will Billy B8 you'll have a Bilstein B12 Pro kit .

A chap with a highly tuned Audi A4 3.0 TDI Avant put H&R on and found them unbearable , Eibach was the answer .
Eibach every time.

Well my B8's have just arrived, very quick delivery. The Eibach Pro Kit springs are ordered from the Eibach Shop, not the cheapest but most other places are looking at 2/3 weeks delivery. I reckon I may as well do the strut mounts and bearings while I am in there.......... :D Another £120.00 that I will not be spending in the pub if they ever open again.........:dk:

Hmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am now lusting after Eibach ARB's to complete the job rather than just fitting poly bushes. My man logic has kicked in I think... :dk: It's only another £300.00 and if I don't do it I will be forever wondering if I made the right choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom