Fitter refused to fit C63 winter tyres??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C60three

Car
V60
Went to get some 225 40 18 winter continentals fitted to front standard 18'' rims at local tyre merchants
Tyres are extra load 225 40 18 conti winter contact 92v TL XL TS830p
He said that they don't make them in this size with a higher load rating

I said I know for sure that the size is correct. However, what should the load rating be on winter tyres?

He said he would be breaking the law if he fitted them and it wasn't safe
Many thanks
Mark

Looked at pic posted by member alexl's winter tyre package from merc the tyres appear to be the same rating as mine?

What does it say in the handbook? My 211 book gives a lower speed rating for winter tyres. If it's in the book you better believe it's legal.

Went to get some 225 40 18 winter continentals fitted to front standard 18'' rims at local tyre merchants
Tyres are extra load 225 40 18 conti winter contact 92v TL XL TS830p
He said that they don't make them in this size with a higher load rating

I said I know for sure that the size is correct. However, what should the load rating be on winter tyres?

He said he would be breaking the law if he fitted them and it wasn't safe
Many thanks
Mark

What is being questioned here the load index or the speed rating?

Winter tyres genrally have a lower speed rating than the conventional tyre. As long as any tyre you have fitted complies with the recommendations in the vehicle handbook there will be no problem, if your tyre fitter choses to argue differently then go elsewhere.

Load rating should be exactly the same for winter tyres as for summer ones. What load rating does your handbook specify?

Go to another fitter
Never heard such a nonsense

Load Index Kilograms Load Index Kilograms Load Index Kilograms
65 290 80 450 95 690
66 300 81 462 96 710
67 307 82 475 97 730
68 215 83 487 98 750
69 325 84 500 99 775
70 335 85 515 100 800
71 345 86 530 101 825
72 355 87 545 102 850
73 365 88 560 103 875
74 375 89 580 104 900
75 387 90 600 105 925
76 400 91 615 106 950
77 412 92 630 107 975
78 425 93 650 108 1000
79 437 94 670

Load is per tyre so easy to calculate

Phoned local dealer and they say they are fine and are happy to fit them for me!

Those 92V XLs are rated at 92 (load) when in theory your summer ones would be 95 on the front and 94 on the rear (it varies a little between 91-95 on the front dependant on age of the car).

The 92/XL relates to the weight per axle on a sliding scale.. 92 is 630Kg 95 is 690Kg so there is a 60Kg per corner difference..

I'd take a look in the handbook, it may give the load ratings in there..

At least he appeared to have a grasp of tyre knowledge (albeit incorrect this time).

I took mine to our local tyreshop and he asked me if it was rear wheel drive :eek: :dk:.

I'd expect a guy in the motoring trade to know that.

Those 92V XLs are rated at 92 (load) when in theory your summer ones would be 95 on the front and 94 on the rear (it varies a little between 91-95 on the front dependant on age of the car).

The 92/XL relates to the weight per axle on a sliding scale.. 92 is 630Kg 95 is 690Kg so there is a 60Kg per corner difference..

I'd take a look in the handbook, it may give the load ratings in there..

It's a can of worms if you go to XL tyres, and, while speed rating isn't considered to be an issue, you must use at least the load rating originally specified.

The problem with XL is that they only achieve XL rating at maximum tyre pressure - for any given pressure an XL tyre has a lower load rating than a non-XL. To be honest, I'm not sure why this is - maybe it's to do with XL tyre walls generating more heat?

I can't find the original source, but if you scroll down this page Tyre weight rating and XL question - PistonHeads you'll see charts from Uniroyal comparing standard and XL tyre load ratings.

The point is that if your car needs (say) 95, it's no good going for a 92 and thinking it'll be OK because it's XL. In fact 92XL will probably be worse than a standard 92 as you're not likely to be running at the max pressure an XL tyre needs in order to achieve its stated rating. 2.9bar is 42lbs.

But the tyre is the same spec as that supplied by merc on as the winter tyre set up. Same as what others are running on another thread?? Mercedes service department seemed a bit confused over the spec but said they should be fine and happy to fit them!

Still don't see an issue
When I went for winters bought first cheapest ones and they are perfectly fine.
Did 2000 miles trip in snow last year with no problems still going strong
You'll be fine

But the tyre is the same spec as that supplied by merc on as the winter tyre set up. Same as what others are running on another thread?? Mercedes service department seemed a bit confused over the spec but said they should be fine and happy to fit them!

What's the full spec of the tyre the car came out of the factory on?

If you smash the car up then your insurance assessor will look at the car and he will notice that the load rating of the tyres is lower than the original spec.

If a Mercedes dealership fit them then your defence would be to point at them and say "they're the experts". Whether that would wash or not is another matter.

What's the full spec of the tyre the car came out of the factory on?

If you smash the car up then your insurance assessor will look at the car and he will notice that the load rating of the tyres is lower than the original spec.

As far as I can tell my tyres which the guy refused to fit seem to be the same spec as those recommended by merc. (and unless I'm mistaken please can someone confirm?) the table at the back of the owners manual (which is also a bit confusing) says 225/40 R18 92V XL 8.0j x 18 H2 ET 45 in the V5 column which I think denotes estate C63.
This is listed as BA (both axles) but I have gone for a staggered set up (rears with higher load rating 255/35/18 94 V XL)) so as far as I can see it should be fine.
I bought them as they were really cheap!

If the MB dealer will fit them then I'd just go ahead.

At a quick glance of 255/35/18's I can only see them in 94 load index so it could be a matter of specifying what's available.

OP - what is written on your tyre rating plate (in the front door jamb) this is VEHICLE SPECIFIC one to follow, not the manual, which may be out of date or wrong issue.

It gives the type approved ratings, these are the ones any insurer would look at, not the manual.

It will also give a winter setup (usually on smaller diameter rims) but it will give approved speed and load ratings, which are transferable to larger rim sizes.

OP - what is written on your tyre rating plate (in the front door jamb) this is VEHICLE SPECIFIC one to follow, not the manual, which may be out of date or wrong issue.

It gives the type approved ratings, these are the ones any insurer would look at, not the manual.

It will also give a winter setup (usually on smaller diameter rims) but it will give approved speed and load ratings, which are transferable to larger rim sizes.

On the black sticker? I can't understand the info on it, is it in code?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom