Fitting 12v socket for phone, W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

connashio1

Car
W211 320CDI estate
Hi,

I'm looking at fitting a 12v USB socket on the drivers side of the lower dash. One option is to run a feed from the cigar lighter in the ashtray, but I've seen posts which mention taking the feed from the fuse box at the end of the dash. Has anybody done this and how would I "tap into" the fuse box? I don't want to start messing around with Scotchlocks and causing problems.

Thanks, Paul

Why not just plug an adapter into the 12v socket already there in the ashtray cubby hole

Why not just plug an adapter into the 12v socket already there in the ashtray cubby hole

I'm trying to avoid having a cable draped across the dash. If the socket can be in the area of the bonnet pull I can have a nice short cable that goes straight up to my phone.

I'm trying to avoid having a cable draped across the dash. If the socket can be in the area of the bonnet pull I can have a nice short cable that goes straight up to my phone.
Sorry I misread your initial post stating that

I bought a 12V cigarette lighter socket from Maplin (now RIP), and burried it inside the dash (accessible from the side-panel).

I plugged a USB charger into the socket and have a USB cable running from the dash to the phone cradle on the windscreen.

Power is taken from the live 12V feed on the inside of the OBDII socket.

Hi,

I'm looking at fitting a 12v USB socket on the drivers side of the lower dash. One option is to run a feed from the cigar lighter in the ashtray, but I've seen posts which mention taking the feed from the fuse box at the end of the dash. Has anybody done this and how would I "tap into" the fuse box? I don't want to start messing around with Scotchlocks and causing problems.

Thanks, Paul

Use a piggyback fuse

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077QY4V1N/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Assuming you just need it for USB charging, add one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075YP9TD1/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

I would do as suggested above
Piggyback socket on the same side fuse box
USB charging socket for ease

Has anyone mounted the socket in the lower dash? Or is it easier to wire it up and tick away behind the dash?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom