Fitting a 7th seat to my R-Class w251

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rhjcamp

Car
R-Class, & R171
All,

Since the R-Class facelift showed 7 seats, I have been thinking about changing the middle set of seats to have 3 rather than 2 seats (mine is 6 seats 2007 model). This would make my life easier as I quite often have 5 in the car, and therefore one always has to sit in the third row...

Anyway, clearly this would be expensive, but what if I fitted a middle set of seats from a ML! They appear the same as the GL, which is the same as the R Class and therefore this would be a much cheaper option. (Width of all three is the same within 10mm)

They could in theory just fit into the same bolt holes, as the middle seat appears to be attached to the passenger side middle seat, complete with seat belt etc.

What do people think, other considerations? (Insurance, modified car etc?)

R

Insurance would certainly be an issue as adding (or indeed removing) seats is definitely treated as a notifiable modification, and I know for sure that some mainstream companies would no longer cover your vehicle. So I would check that out first (and bear in mind it will make shopping around for new quotes much more difficult in future).

What about seatbelt anchorages?

They are almost certainly part of the seat assembly. Our Vito has three 'centre row' seats as a 'twin' plus a 'single', and the belts and anchorages are built in to the seat units.

Yeap the seat belt points are part of the seat. Had a look yesterday, and it is not going to work with an ML seat as they do not need to move forwards to let a rear passenger in, hence you would not be able to get to the back row. Only a GL or R Class middle set will work. Shame. Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom