Fitting a bonnet insulation pad...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA2

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
As above.

I need a new pad fitting in my 129. Question is, who's best to do this. I'm not sure how it's done. Eg, is the bonnet taken off to do the job or is it done in situ.

Depending how the job should be done, I'm wondering if it would be better (and maybe cheaper?) getting a detailer to do it rather than a Indie mechanic. To me it doesn't obviously seem to be a mechanic's job :dk:

I'd prefer the lowest cost, but not at the cost of a poor job.

Anybody know anything about this?

Thanks.

It's a very simple job. Using the correct adhesive is most important. I use trim fix adhesive available on eBay. It's specifically designed for automotive high temperature use.
I will use about a full can and half covering both the bonnet and pad. Obviously the bonnet must be cleaned of the old pad And put up in the vertical position.

You will need an assistant to help line the pad into place.. You need to be quick as it sticks very quickly. Then it's a case of applying pressure across the pad, especially at the corners to ensure it sticks.

Leave it to dry for a few hours before lowering the bonnet..

It's a very simple job. Using the correct adhesive is most important. I use trim fix adhesive available on eBay. It's specifically designed for automotive high temperature use.
I will use about a full can and half covering both the bonnet and pad. Obviously the bonnet must be cleaned of the old pad And put up in the vertical position.

You will need an assistant to help line the pad into place.. You need to be quick as it sticks very quickly. Then it's a case of applying pressure across the pad, especially at the corners to ensure it sticks.

Leave it to dry for a few hours before lowering the bonnet..

Yes, I have a rough idea how it should be done, but for various health reasons I would physically be unable to undertake the job.

Simple it might be in theory, but the 129 bonnet is quite high when raised, so I imagine it would be a real PITA getting at the old stuff to clean it off.

That's why I wondered about getting a detailer to do it. But I'm not sure :dk:

I think any mechanic? P.s I use a double bed sheet over the engine bay when cleaning the old stuff off as it goes everywhere!

So not a detailer.....:dk:

Did mine recently on a W201 190 and it was pretty straightforward and took no more than 1 hour.

No I wouldn't use a car cleaner to do the job, would ask a competent bodyshop to do it as they are used to fitting all sorts of trim etc.

So a body shop rather than a mechanic....

I did mine last weekend on my R129.

The hardest bit is to scrape the old one off. Make sure you put a sheet over the engine bay when you do as it maakes a right mess. Use a wooden spatula or sonething that wont scratch the paint.

I bought some contact adhesive from amazon (bought two cans) and probably used less than half of one of them.

The only thing I might add is that the genuine Mercedes hood pad isnt that great quality, i wouldnt be surprised if some of the aftermarket ones are better.

Agreed^ Still have half a tin of sticky stuff left over too.

This is the stuff I used. 1 can is easily enough.

513ZFmisu4L._SY450_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DHI08Y0/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom