Fitting a Pioneer Avic-F20BT into W209

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi bhav. Your install looks great. I too have been seriously contemplating putting a f20 or f30 into my Viano. Can you help me out by listing the extra things you had to buy ...
1) f20 or f30
2) Double Din Fascia Kit - did you buy just the face plate or the kit that includes the double din cage and brackets as well ? Does the brackets screw straight onto the unit.
3) aerial adaptor
4) pioneer ipod cable
5) CAN Bus adaptor/module - Which one did you get in the end ? Does the pioneer unit pick up automatically when reverse is engaged through the CAN bus ? Where did you hook up the Spped pulse wire to ?
I am literally about to buy it all on my credit card but I want to make sure that I get everything ready for the install. I'll benefit from your experience and it will stop me losing more hair!

Look on Pioneers site.

Hi bhav. Your install looks great. I too have been seriously contemplating putting a f20 or f30 into my Viano. Can you help me out by listing the extra things you had to buy ...
1) f20 or f30
2) Double Din Fascia Kit - did you buy just the face plate or the kit that includes the double din cage and brackets as well ? Does the brackets screw straight onto the unit.
3) aerial adaptor
4) pioneer ipod cable
5) CAN Bus adaptor/module - Which one did you get in the end ? Does the pioneer unit pick up automatically when reverse is engaged through the CAN bus ? Where did you hook up the Spped pulse wire to ?
I am literally about to buy it all on my credit card but I want to make sure that I get everything ready for the install. I'll benefit from your experience and it will stop me losing more hair!

Hi bogcaster,

If you look at post number 10 mate on the left is the canbus adaptor, this also has reverse and speed punse output, on the right is the wired remote adaptor which connects to the canbuss adaptor and the f30bt unit.

You will also need a ariel converter, sorry dont know in technical terms but the pioneer has a banana plug style arieal fitting and the mercedes has a fakra connector so you will need an adaptor for that.

the reverse signal is picked up as soon as you engage reverse but i have not added the reverse camera yet so can not test for sure, but the speed pulse connector works great.

anyone who is thinking of getting a F20/F30 BT... a worsd of warning the sat nav is not great and the bluetooth has a little feedback issue, i have tried both iphone 4 and my blackberry bold and both have the same issue... the pioneer avic has a parrot bluetooth module built into it. which included mic and nav ariel.

on other forums people have hid the nav gps ariel under the air vent in the middle but i have put on the dash in far right.

there are forums on the internet i think one is avic411.com which also have install tips on this.

ok if you are thinking you can download a film and stick it on your usb or sd card to watch on your avic unit you are wrong.... you will have to convert to format which suits the unit for playback on your avic. i use a program called avs video converter which works great providing you have a fastish pc which will convert your videos for you... however if you burn on dvd you can play a vast variet of formats... strange... so if you are in a hurry to watcha film on your avic burn on dvd to save the hassle of converting..

when my din facia arrived the company sent me one for a w203 c class not a w209 clk... the w203 has a wider stero then the w209 even though to the eye they look the same they are not... hence because i could not be bothered to send back i decided to chop and mould it into a shape that suits me and blends with the avic unit...

one really neat feature of the unit is the bluetooth audio unit... i just download my fav songs from itunes and on teh way to work just hit the bluetooth audio feature and listen on my strero ... for some reason my blackberry album art shows on my screen but the iphone album art does not...

so to sum up

Features: some good features although a bit of a pain to get full use from them
Sound Quality: 7/10
Ease of instalation 8/10
Value for money 6/10

Hi bhav, congrats on the install, and kudos on the custom fascia. It came out ridiculously brilliant! :thumb:

After weeks of researching, I've finally figured out what I need for installing a double-DIN Pioneer (no navigation) in my face-lift 2007 CLK. Before I pull the trigger on ordering all the items however, I have a couple of questions that I hope you could help out with:

1) In your experience, should I buy just the double-din fascia kit or the one that comes with mounting cage and screws, etc.?

2) If I buy the steering wheel adapter:

(PIONEER Car Stereo to Mercedes Stalk Steering Wheel Control Adaptor DS-MC001 | eBay)

then would I still need to buy the wiring harness to make my install plug n play? (This one: MERCEDES CLS, ML, SLK, Sprinter Wiring Harness PC2-89-4 | eBay)

Thank you for your help in advance! :D

1) Just the double din fascia will do as the stereo will come with the mounting cage etc.

2) No.

Last edited:
Nice job. I much prefer the older models as they have buttons and knobs. I do like the slightly bigger screen though but gave up my hd3 for the sake of a knob.

Did you do any software / hardware mods before fitting ? i.e. handbrake on, removal of nag screens, map upgrade, 3d views and custom load screen and reverse camera?

Must say really love the digi heater controls, nice to see.

1) Just the double din fascia will do as the stereo will come with the mounting cage etc.

2) No.

Thanks a lot for your help npuk. I'll still just have to order the complete double din kit since I haven't been to find a seller offering the specific fascia from Connect2 for the facelifted CLK without the cage.

Grech, I still have my double din facia kit for sale although not sure if its the same as yours is a facelift?
worth a look though:

http://www.MBClub.co.uk/forums/clas...4-c-clk-double-din-wifi-router-360-games.html

Hi Johnny, thanks for the offer, unfortunately it's not the same kit. The facelift W209's Audio 20 unit is 2mm smaller in width than the older W203 and W209. Check out bhav's pic in post #12 to see what I'm talking about, since he used the fascia similar to yours. I would buy it off you if I had bhav's mad customization skills. :p

What you think

i decided to Vinyl the facia

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom