Fitting a throttle cable W124 M104

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windy124

Car
W124 320E Sportline
Hi all, this is my first post, so apologies for noobness! I've been reading a lot of threads on sticking throttles, heavy actuations etc. and other stuff related to accelerator issues. I started looking at mine since I was having similar problems, its very stiff, and abrupt most of the time and generally hard to drive smooth. The upshot following an inspection is my throttle cable is broken at the adjustment nut under the intake manifold and at the point it goes through the bulkhead behind the master cylinder. So off I trotted armed with my chassis no to the dealers and ordered one and started searching on how to actually replace it. I've found lots of great threads on adjustments and set up etc. but struggling with how to actually replace it.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but has anyone actually done it and if so can any advice or pics of how to etc. be offered? Also I've discovered the Bowden cable during my research and I'm really spooked because that looks difficult (and important) to set up - Am I panicking unnecessarily perhaps!

My car is a 1993 320E Saloon, any help offered would be much appreciated!

Thanks in anticipation :)

Instruction number 30-3400D is what you are after I think. I can't upload it here unfortunately.

Last edited:
No 30 goes across the bulkhead, behind the engine, behind the insulation for RHD cars, there is a channel come conduit space just for it, make sure you get the route spot on so no kinks or clamping... I think you are allowed to oil it [but not the speedo cable.] mine has been good with fish oil - WD40. :):)

Even had an extra spring that was missing put back on and it has improved the feel, you have more fine control, before you wouldn't accelerate as much as what you would prepare for a fuel burn - now surprisingly, it is much better.

Thanks for advice :) is the Bowden Cable not as critical then or does it need to be adjusted checked or whatever as part of the cable replacement procedure?

Thanks again in advance.

Is the car changing gears as expected...? If it is then it is adjusted properly. Bowden cables are not a big concern - set and forget pretty much. You can look at it again if need be after the throttle control cable is installed....??

Is the car changing gears as expected...? If it is then it is adjusted properly. Bowden cables are not a big concern - set and forget pretty much. You can look at it again if need be after the throttle control cable is installed....??

Thanks, think that's the best policy, I can always make a note of where it is now by detailed photos and then fit new throttle cable and then see if it's been affected by the change.

I'll be fitting it next week so will advise then, thanks in the mean time again for help ;)

any difference between manual and auto cars ?

Is you car auto ?

Not sure, mines an auto though.

Put a few turns on my kickdown cable today and tightened it. It was fairly slack with quite a bit of deflection in it. I overtightened it at first and it wouldn't change into 4th, a bit of back winding though and it's great now. Holds onto the gears longer and it has a lot more urgency about it. I'll tweak it properly after new throttle cable is fitted next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom