Fitting a tow bar tomorrow - advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a factory fitted 'tow package' which is a tow bar (accepts Reese) but without the ball and, wiring (tucked underneath within bodywork) which is not connected to a socket.
Should I be getting failed at MOT for the lack of a functioning socket when there is a tow bar there?
I would imagine that not having a socket they might consider that it had been"rendered unfit for further use".
but that is pure supposition.

Thanks for all replies. I haven’t attached the bar yet but will do before the weekend. Just looking at buying a rack for 3 bikes. Need something easy to put on and remove. Is Thule the easiest ? They are quite expensive. Should I just head to Halfords ?
I have had a Thule one for over 15 years , The pivot down function makes it great for estate cars or SUV's . I am sure they have been successfully copied by now but the latest Thule models must be also much improved from the one we have.

If the electrics are coded to integrate with the car electrics, there is no need to switch anything off. Where is this button located?
Some strange advice from you regarding rear sensors in this thread. You have not replied to my question in post#6. It would be good to know how a detachable towbar disables the rear sensors.
A detachable towbar doesn't disable the rear sensors per se; plugging in a bike rack, for example, would provided the car's electrics are coded.

Note that any rear camera would still operate although any bikes fitted might block the view.

Ernie

If the electrics are coded to integrate with the car electrics, there is no need to switch anything off. Where is this button located?
Some strange advice from you regarding rear sensors in this thread. You have not replied to my question in post#6. It would be good to know how a detachable towbar disables the rear sensors.
No, when you connect the electrics the car sensed the presence of a trailer and switches them off. Hence the need for the correct coding to tell the cat the type of towbar it has. Also coding will switch on trailer ESP settings and switch off Drive Pilot functions as the trailer blocks the rear radar

It will also normally disable the rear foglight(s) on the car when towing as all they would do is light up the front of your trailer/caravan, causing glare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom