Fitting a Turbocharger in my W211 - At Home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IndieC

Car
Mercedes W211
Hi Forum.

I'm looking to fit a refurbished turbocharger in my W211. The garage is charging me a fortune.
I wanted any advice on what to look out for or any general advice on doing so.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What are you being quoted to fit a new Turbocharger?

£1.300 for parts and labour.
That's not a bad price for a new Turbocharger, fitting, cleaning of intercooler, engine oil and filter change.

You can replace the core for approx £180.
You may find some bolts sheer off on the exhaust side.

I did this on a 646 engined Vito some years ago. not an easy job with a few skinned knuckles, but doable. I replaced the turbo exhaust side bolts with stainless.

Assuming you can reasonably access the turbocharger with the tools you have, it kinda comes down to how well you can cope with things going wrong. Seized bolts/studs - that sort of thing. Identifying the pending problem and devising compensating strategies.
First thing you do before you even start is marinade all the fixings that have to be removed in a decent penetrant (not WD40) - the closer to the turbo, the more so. Bolts snapping and heads rounding is the worst that can happen but knowing how close to that you are and what to do about it is key.

Presumably there's some videos on YouTube to give you an idea of what the job entails?

What model is your 211? It can go smoothly or turn into a nightmare fairly quickly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom