Fitting amp upside down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobMorris

Car
W210 E300 TD
Hello

Am I safe to fix an amp upside down under the rear shelf?
Or would it overheat?

Cheers

Generally speaking so long as there's sufficient free air flow around the amp and heatsinks it won't matter what position the amp is in so upside down should be fine.

Regards,

Not really advisable but if you use some fans to make sure it keeps cool should be okay. Build an amp box with fans to ventilate it.

generally not advisable just because the way the components are installed on the boards it upsets the cooling design.

if its a low power amp i wouldnt worry

I have done in the past but you really need to have a good cooling area for it to be safe. they do get pretty hot if used for prolonged hours

To get round this you want to "suspend it" slightly from short hangers attached to the parcel shelf- provide there is reasonable free air space above the cooling fins you should be OK. Forced ventilation by fan is best of course.

I could build a shelf - flip it correct way and suspend it allowing some breathing space
Cheers all

I have installed amps upside down in my cars in the past with no problem unless the amp is run at maximum for long periods, it shouldn't get too hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom