Fitting an Armrest DVD player for rear passengers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello.

Currenty I have some nextbase headrest mounted DVD screens. Good bit of kit but don't like leaving them attached and now our smallest is about to move to a forward facing seat I'm thinking about fitting this for holidays.

8-5-inch-armrest-car-dvd-player-fm-transmitter-ir-transmitter-wireless-game-sd-usb_mcyk1330488046875.jpg

It can fold back and round on itself so will not be obvious looking in the car (dark back windows help also) Its can accept wireless headphones so it should be a fairly easy fit?

Anyone fitted one?

I'm not happy about screwing into the sides of the armrest but wonder if there is another way...

This has a 8.5" Screen so should be good for both to see.

Have not fitted one of these - did have headrest ones in the C class, which rattled - much annoying.

I would have thought it would be possible to fabricate a U shaped bracket to go under the rear centre console (maybe even attached with a screw under to the prop tunnel), and if it's popping up between the seats would not even be that noticeable - especially if painted back first?

Maybe coat with something like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LNOOEO/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

My interior is grey but I'm buying a black unit as its likley to fit other cars....

With the dark windows etc it will be hard to see anyway but as you say if I can make a braket of some sort it should be ok?

I've ordered it now so we will see. Its only for Holiday and long drives and as for rattling, with two kids in the back and the boot full, roof box on, bikes on tow bar theres all sorts of noises :) :)

That looks a tidy bit of kit, how much is it costing?

I see you've already purchased something, this is what we use on our 5 series:

Universal DVD System - Communication & E - Cooper BMW Parts, Inchcape

It has a quick release bracket which allows the screens to be released and stowed away when not in use. We routed the cables around the seat backrest so all you see is a short piece of wire from the mount down the seam of the seat until it goes behind the backrest and ultimatley to the rear power socket.

Well.

Interestingly I've bought it from China, paid via paypal with some spare cash in there and If I'm not stung for import tax its £115 with 2 free IR headphones. Which should be pretty good?

8.5 Inch Armrest Car DVD Player (FM Transmitter, Wireless Game, Free Headphones, SD/USB) - US$ 164.99

I could have gone for Grey to match this car better but went for black as its a bit more universal.

To me it looks an easier sollution than the DVD click headrest we have (soon for sale maybe..) as they are 'on show'

Will see if it turns up but seems promising.

Thanks A,

We have a similar system already but stil not happy the mounts are there right on show even if the screens are not..

Its the nextbase click system we have which is good (for saftey and other reasons)

I thought for both little ones to sare the same DVD and fold it more or less out of sight without getting very close to the windows and peering in this should be quite good.

The back of the screen appears to have a three-pointed star on it...

Shame the screen (low-res) and game system (very... oriental) don't look to be that great, and it'd be nice to hard-wire it in without the power plug on the side. I'd certainly be interested to hear how it works out, and if you think it'd work with three in the back.

Go with a roof mounted one instead it is far less visible for thieves and you can have wider screens for all 3 rear passengers. I had one in my last W210 and with 3 IR headphones and 11 inch screen was £450 all in (2007) but I bet prices have dropped since then. Easy to fit you can move the central light/alarms ultrasound further back and use the vacant position. I ran the wires through the roof to the battery in the rear, not a great picture but you might be able to work out the final look.

View attachment 30441

Last edited:
Error in my last post you only have to move the central ultrasound back and from memory the cables came from the rear so very straight forward.

Its too late now I've gone for the armrest version,

Too be honest I very rarely leave my car anywhere iffy and I think that sort would bloke out rear view vison? when I'm abroad I like to be able to see a little out of the back when overtaking on motorways.

With the boot full, bike rack on its limited anyway.

Nice solution though and will keep it in mind for next time.

I agree on rear view, but I also found the 210 that with the centre head rest you could not see much anyway. Once I had bikes and luggage I preferred to not see anything rather strain. I now have the factory fitted arm rest version and while OK my kids do complain its not as good as the last one!

When my daughter was younger and did not need the centre arm rest I would put a small stick on mirror just above dash level above the PDC leds and you could see straight out below the TV. I think the problem is that the factory fit one is just poor in terms of picture quality and is so damn small

UPS tried to deliver armrest DVD player yesterday and I was out...

Customs tax to pay also :(

Still all in its £150 which seems pretty good?

It's currently at work and I havn't unboxed it yet but when I go in the car I will collect it and see what its like / post pics prior to fitting.

Only problem I found was that as the kids got older, they wanted to watch different things. We stuck with the twin-screen option, and the player also accepts an input from a Playstation (or similar) so now they can watch two different movies, or one can play whilst the other watches whatever.

^ Yep appreciate that,

We have the twin screen Nextbase click system but still don't like the mounts on show and wires etc..

Ours are 5 and 18 months so what ever the 5 year old watches the 18 month old is happy with (peppa pig, spot, etc etc..)

I don't want them watching these things alll the time anyway but the trip to frnace is a long day and a half in the car so it should help the journey.

Athough this will be on show... it should fold down and look less obvious in the car.

The unit itself looked quite good and powered it up to put a dvd in picture looks fine. I could watch it. OK its not HD 1080p but perfectly watchable.

Will update after some pics prior to fitting

^ Yep appreciate that,

We have the twin screen Nextbase click system but still don't like the mounts on show and wires etc..

Ours are 5 and 18 months so what ever the 5 year old watches the 18 month old is happy with (peppa pig, spot, etc etc..)

I don't want them watching these things alll the time anyway but the trip to frnace is a long day and a half in the car so it should help the journey.

We had the single screen for a couple of years before migrating to the twin screen option - it's surprising how quickly they decide that they want their own thing. The whining and whining gets to you on trip down south after a while ;) so don't get rid of your current set-up just yet....

We need one of those screens in limos (triple insulated) that slides up between us and them...

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom