Fitting Dashcam to W222 S Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
W222
Hi,

Has anyone fitted a dash cam to a W222 S class.

If so how did you do the wiring. I had a W221 S Class and it was quite straight forward as there was a USB socket in the glovebox. There isn't one in the W222 as it is in the centre arm rest storage box.

Any advise would be really appreciated.

TIA

Hi Horse and Jockey,

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, also with a rear camera too. I'm sure that MB will factory fit them soon enough, but for now, as you say it'll involve wiring.
There are two options I've looked into: (a) use the center console USB or (b) hardwire to the nearest appropriate fusebox. (b) is popular with people who also want parking video. There's one fuse box in the front leg space and one in the boot (and two under the bonnet!).
I'll very likely be going with option (a) and use a substantial battery pack, the kind charging offices and tablets, probably 20,000mAh which should power a decent camera in standby mode for a few days at least. I've not other the trigger yet as I've not decided on dash cams yet. Have you got your eye on one?
I'm thinking it may well be worth getting it fitted professionally if it's challenging to do it tidily in the W222.

Hi,

Has anyone fitted a dash cam to a W222 S class.

If so how did you do the wiring. I had a W221 S Class and it was quite straight forward as there was a USB socket in the glovebox. There isn't one in the W222 as it is in the centre arm rest storage box.

Any advise would be really appreciated.

TIA
In the end I installed one into my W222.
Front facing, discreet, powered by a dedicated powerbank which is itself recharged when the car is running.
ed3fd8b373e71f319a2e6b9103d27e36.jpg

The powerbank will be secured by Velcro straps so that is easy to recharge at home if the residual charge gets too low for my usage needs.
* JooVuu X dashcam + 64GB SDHC
* GoPro quick release base + generic low profile mount
5276aecc0deb0e7e9134af8194f15efe.jpg

* 5M mini-USB cable, just enough to get round the windscreen, A pillar, passenger door, under the glovebox, along the LED overhang to the end of the glovebox, then back again (you can see the resulting cable in the pic). Once the glovebox is shut just an inch of cable is visible of looked for.
As it's a newish car I didn't want to start pulling the Interior trim off, or have a professional doing it either.

* Sticky two-sided foam tape in places to keep the cable hidden
* 14Ah power bank in the glovebox, connected powered via the USB port there.
99bd5953cee9a14b539756a3f9853dc7.jpg

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk
67219cb3851e6721fcad3bbc25ef89e0.jpg

Looks good. Does the cable cover the LED strip light and and stop it from giving off light?

Will be putting a dashcam in mine soon
Leaning towards using a sticky pad mount to adhere if (low profile) to the windscreen

Is yours stuck or suctioned on?

I put a suction one in my daughter's car (a cheap but remarkably good next base on) on their suction mount and it has come off a couple of times
I am looking at hardwiring in a VIOFO 119s dash cam (I like the profile / shape).....

Looks good. Does the cable cover the LED strip light and and stop it from giving off light?
I was concerned about that too.

So after testing with the USB cable itself, I found the gap is quite large in front of the LED strip on the center console side. So I put a minimal amount of single strips of narrow double-sided foam tape on the USB cable to keep it to one side inside the housing, to the left if sitting in the passenger seat, i.e. on the inner wall of the housing. When the LEDs are on the light is not impeded by the cable at all - it's the looks the same as the driver's side and I can not tell there is a USB cable up along there at all, apart from where it goes vertically up an inch* towards the console lid, near the seat.

* I decided to do that rather than drill any holes into the armrest box. I tried all sorts of entry points to the interior and only found one spot the cable could be fixed without impeding the working of the double-hinged lid.

Will be putting a dashcam in mine soon
Leaning towards using a sticky pad mount to adhere if (low profile) to the windscreen

Is yours stuck or suctioned on?

I put a suction one in my daughter's car (a cheap but remarkably good next base on) on their suction mount and it has come off a couple of times
I am looking at hardwiring in a VIOFO 119s dash cam (I like the profile / shape).....
It's stuck on fabes. Standard GoPro quick-release flat mount base with it's 3M sticky pad*. See pic above.

For anyone interested, the dashcam is fixed to a low profile quick-release generic, GoPro-compatible mount as it has a standard 1/4" threaded nut. I got these ones:
3d97d9cd18f8ba35f5da1fa28f30193e.jpg

Has anyone else noticed their radio reception suffer as a result of installing/fitting one? Mine is positioned to the left of the rear view mirror and it seems to has quite an effect on the FM stations...

Has anyone else noticed their radio reception suffer as a result of installing/fitting one? Mine is positioned to the left of the rear view mirror and it seems to has quite an effect on the FM stations...

What model is it? Does it have a rear camera as well? I bought one from Amazon (It was made by Erkona) with an extension rear camera included and affected FM terribly. I sent it back. I've since bought a Toguard and that is fine.

Hope that helps

Thanks, it was also off Amazon. Quite cheap, front facing only. More a 'proof of concept' for me. I think I'll pay a bit more, get a better one and have it professionally installed.

In the end I installed one into my W222.
Front facing, discreet, powered by a dedicated powerbank which is itself recharged when the car is running.
ed3fd8b373e71f319a2e6b9103d27e36.jpg

The powerbank will be secured by Velcro straps so that is easy to recharge at home if the residual charge gets too low for my usage needs.
* JooVuu X dashcam + 64GB SDHC
* GoPro quick release base + generic low profile mount
5276aecc0deb0e7e9134af8194f15efe.jpg

* 5M mini-USB cable, just enough to get round the windscreen, A pillar, passenger door, under the glovebox, along the LED overhang to the end of the glovebox, then back again (you can see the resulting cable in the pic). Once the glovebox is shut just an inch of cable is visible of looked for.
As it's a newish car I didn't want to start pulling the Interior trim off, or have a professional doing it either.

* Sticky two-sided foam tape in places to keep the cable hidden
* 14Ah power bank in the glovebox, connected powered via the USB port there.
99bd5953cee9a14b539756a3f9853dc7.jpg

67219cb3851e6721fcad3bbc25ef89e0.jpg
Is it possible for you to post a video of the installed product and wiring areas etc? Booked car into Halfords for a hard wired fit and was told the fuse box is always live and if the dashcam was fitted there it’s drain the battery. Currently evaluating options of installing the dashcam n

Is it possible for you to post a video of the installed product and wiring areas etc? Booked car into Halfords for a hard wired fit and was told the fuse box is always live and if the dashcam was fitted there it’s drain the battery. Currently evaluating options of installing the dashcam n
No probs, I'll have a go at the weekend. For now the USB cable (IIRC it was 5m long), runs horizontally along the glass/trim edge left to the passenger front pillar, then down the pillar to the bottom, then horizontally at the base of the pillar (my only safety concern as the pillar airbag going off could pull that cable out), then vertically down at the side of the door, then underneath the glove box, then behind the centre console top edge where the LEDs are, then along to the back of the centre console box, then up and in the box.
I use a USB switch to turn off the power output to the dashcam when I think I'll be parked up for longer than I want the battery recharged.

You should try the solution i used...

One of these from amazon....https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XS33J2N/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

It works perfectly and really easy to fit.

Did you get yours sorted? I fitted one in mine a few weeks ago. There’s another fuse box on the drivers side. Open the drivers door and the end cap of the dash will reveal it. It’s not obvious at all there’s a fuse box there.

Has a mix of live and ignition switched live feeds but be careful as the airbag ones are there too. There’s a glovebox lamp switched live fuse which does the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom