Fitting Electric aerial masts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I need to change the aerial mast again....it gets stuck as it retracts.

The parts about £20, but the stealership want somewhere in the region of £50 to fit the damn thing.

Or: is there a decent alternative to the leccy aerial as this will be the third in two years????

Regards

Tan

Hi Tan

is this fo rthe Sl?

If so its pretty easy to replace the mast yourself - I did one on our old one after I took it tru a car wash with the aerial up :(

I cant remembere exactly but you unscrew the chrome locking nut that holds the mast to the body , feed out the old under power I think then feed in the new & refit teh locking nut . Its a standasrd Hirschman antenna mast and ful instructions are in the box from memory. Took me about 15 mins or so - that was after I had unnessarily removed the whole motor assemby from the car !

you went to a car wash in an sl... Thats v naughty.

I think you can get original eleccy aerials on ebay for around £40 brand new?

Aerial Mast

Switch radio on, then pull mast up to full extent from point at which it sticks.Spray with Wd40 or similar, switch on ond off until eventually mast operates, then spray With GT85 (halfords) it's a ptfe based lubricant.(excellent stuff for all types of track.Sun roof,window channels, even curtain tracks and patio door runners) ;) .
I've done this succesfully a number of times. The mast sections become coated with a film due to weathering and the sections stick to each other as the tolerance is quite tight.Give it a try. You will have to keep repeating the process at regular intervals though.

I have one of those mast cleaning things from MB so will give that a try first..but I think that the mast is slightly bent. I think that this has occured when driving..prolly going too fast..oops

IS it possible to replace the electric aerial mast with a stubby black rubber type one?? or thaat a totally stupid idea :D

jaymanek said:
you went to a car wash in an sl... Thats v naughty.

I know !

but in mitigation m'lud it already had carwash swirls when we bought it at 4 years old, - it never got any worse!

I guess you could get a stubby black CLK type one. They are ok, but i still prefer the full leccy ones, they get better reception.
Dronsfileds sell some really good quality replacement ones new.

Jay

CLK Aerial is A208 820 43 89 - (Hirschmann MCA 9 18V flex) and takes phone connection. It will need a fixed 12v supply

rgds

dave

topdown said:
CLK Aerial is A208 820 43 89 - (Hirschmann MCA 9 18V flex) and takes phone connection. It will need a fixed 12v supply

rgds

dave

Cheers dave, I might just give that a try

Does the 'standard' CLK black rubber aerial take a phone connection?
This is (good) news to me! Can you supply any more info (phone connection - where, for instance)

Paul G

fido said:
Switch radio on, then pull mast up to full extent from point at which it sticks.Spray with Wd40 or similar, switch on ond off until eventually mast operates, then spray With GT85 (halfords) it's a ptfe based lubricant.(excellent stuff for all types of track.Sun roof,window channels, even curtain tracks and patio door runners) ;) .
I've done this succesfully a number of times. The mast sections become coated with a film due to weathering and the sections stick to each other as the tolerance is quite tight.Give it a try. You will have to keep repeating the process at regular intervals though.

I've got the same problem, the mast extends only two of the four elements, when trying to pull the stuck ones out I can feel alot of resistance. Is this the motor complaining or just the telescopic elements sticking?

Have I read this right, you can just get the mast rather that the whole assembly?

Paul Grainger said:
Does the 'standard' CLK black rubber aerial take a phone connection?
This is (good) news to me! Can you supply any more info (phone connection - where, for instance)

Paul G

It is a bit difficult to see in situ but if you use an torx key you can undo the centre screw and the aerial can be removed. There are 3 connections, radio, phone and + 12v.

I have still to find the correct coax plug for the phone but when connected it gives the phone a max signal.

Radio reception improved after I cleaned up the cobnnections as the base had some corrosion - white powder.

I asked the local dealer for the socket part number but eyes glazed over.... I contaced Hirschmann, but no reply to date. It is femail screw phone type.

I will have to trawl through the R catalogue unless someone can vist an Audio centre with the aerial in their hand.

Will post some pics when I remove it
rgds

dave

ps I thinks this is the original install for a cabrio on the CLK

sportyreptile said:
Have I read this right, you can just get the mast rather that the whole assembly?

yes, you can buy just the mast

Visited the local dealers earlier, bought a telescopic mast for £19. I just need this rain to ease off sometime over the weekend to have a go and fit it

You can definatelt just get the masts. I probably got through 5 masts in the time I had my old C220. Can't for the life of me remember how to change it though.

Done it!

It's easy, you need a 13mm open ended spanner and a willing assistant to operate the radio.

Undo the nut that sits ontop of the aerial base with said spanner, shout at assistant to switch on the radio, as the mast extends pull it all the way out of the base. (make sure you note which way the toothed drive strip teeth are facing)

Take your new mast, feed the toothed strip into the base with the teeth pointing the right way, when you can feel the teeth mating ( ooh err) with the drive cog (resistance) shout at your assistant again to power off the radio. This draws the mast into the body.

Tighten the nut on the new mast with your 13mm spanner and Robert's your Fathers' Brother.

topdown said:

rgds

dave

Hi Dave

I just picked up the part you quoted but that is just the aerial amp , with as you say an input for the radio and Phone and a 12v spade connector. I also need the Actual Stubby aerial from the CLK cab which I belive are painted body colour. DO you have the part number please. ?

steve_bcs said:
Hi Dave

I just picked up the part you quoted but that is just the aerial amp , with as you say an input for the radio and Phone and a 12v spade connector. I also need the Actual Stubby aerial from the CLK cab which I belive are painted body colour. DO you have the part number please. ?

Sorry cannot find a part number on the mast. Mine is black. Suggest a viist to the dealer quoting the amp part number to get to the correct IPC page. (or has somone got a parts catalogue).

The phone plug for the amp is an FME female connector which I bought at Maplins RG174 09-08 3 N85AP. For the correct diam of cable use RG58 50ohm.

rgds

dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom