Fitting IO Play 2 hands free kit to W220 with Comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattyv33

Car
2001 W220 S500
Hi all, have been searching for hours for an answer to my questions but there are so many different ones!

I have the old style comand with square screen and keypad on the right. I bought an IO PLAY 2 for Bluetooth and music streaming, it comes with an iso lead.

I pulled the comand out to find it also as the iso lead connecters. I plugged the comand into the io play harness and then the io play harness into the back of the comand. The radio works but the IO PLAY doesn't switch on...

Wondering what the issue is, whether I need an addition iso lead or if I need to wire the lead to permanent live (cig lighter).

Read that many threads I am really confused.
Thought it was going to be simple but for some reason can't get the IO play to turn on.

Please help? Thanks!

Last edited:
You have Comand 2.5 - The power wiring on those ISO plugs are *completely* different to standard ISO. You therefore need to get the correct SOT lead to use it (never checked if one is available). I can't remember whether the speaker wiring is ISO or not.

I can't remember whether there is a switched power on the back of Comand 2.5 or you have to find one (cigarette lighter...)

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking that might be the case - can't seem to find an iso lead for it, wondering if I can find a picture of which wires are which in the w220 iso so I can maybe match it up with the Bluetooth iso?

Hi all, nearly 12 months later and I'm back...

Had another go at fitting this io play 2 bluetooth - spent a while researching which lead to get and concluded the SOT 912 was the right one.

I have tried again with the lead and can't understand how it would work.

I have attached pictures of the io play 2 connections, command connections and sot 912 lead.

Just wondering if anyone can help me please.

**pic 1 - the 2 comand iso's plugged into the io play 2's iso's
pic 2 - the io play 2's 4 iso's
pic 3 - the comand iso's

Attachments

• DSC_0524.jpg
    DSC_0524.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0525.jpg
    DSC_0525.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0526.jpg
    DSC_0526.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
**pic 4 - the SOT 912 lead I bought
pic 5 - the three iso's on the SOT 912 that fit the comand.

I would of thought there should be 4, two for the comand then 2 for io play 2?

Attachments

• DSC_0527.jpg
    DSC_0527.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0528.jpg
    DSC_0528.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 6
Tried 12v feed but still no joy, the red power wire from io play 2 is going into nothing on comand iso, the red power wire from comand is going into a black lead on io play 2 iso.

Supplier said sot 912 won't work even though my model is listed on several sites. He said I need to tap into 12v feed from cigar lighter which I did but hasn't worked.

"spent a while researching which lead to get and concluded the SOT 912 was the right one."

Sadly it is not. The power wiring on that generation S/CL is different to ISO (and all other models). All the lead manafacturers who say it works on a S/CL (upto MY2002) and other Mercedes vehicles are wrong.

I'm sorry but I can't remember if the audio wiring is different. You may be able to use the SOT lead for just the speaker plug, and wire power/switched/ground to the IO play directly

Richard

The SOT lead looks like the one for cars with an AGW (i.e MY04 onward). The big square plugs look like the AGW power lead to me.

Looking at the ISO on the car and the ISO on the IO play, it looks like the pairing is the same, if it is then that is good as you can plug the speaker ISO straight in, and then just have to worry about finding power for the power ISO on the IO play.

R

Thank you for the reply Richard, we meet again.

I will take a close up picture of the power iso's on both comand and io play 2 and hopefully we can sort this out - I tried swapping the comand power wire to the next space but couldn't get it out of the iso, there is a small white tab on the side of the iso block which I pulled out but it made no difference...

Here are the pictures I have taken of both iso's, hope you can figure them out.

I have tried to take the pictures so you can see the wires from both comand and io play iso's.

Attachments

• DSC_0538.jpg
    DSC_0538.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0536.jpg
    DSC_0536.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0537.jpg
    DSC_0537.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 4
Some more..

The last picture is of a stray lead that is connected to the cigar lighter wiring. Not sure where it goes or if it should be connected anywhere.

Look forward to your reply!

Attachments

• DSC_0534.jpg
    DSC_0534.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0533.jpg
    DSC_0533.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0543.jpg
    DSC_0543.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Just checking there's no clues on this before I pay for help - I'll update when I find the solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom