fitting R170 wheels 16" to an R172

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HaggisBrains

Car
SLK250 R172
I have a major problem with potholes in my local roads, such that I have had two punctures in the last four months on my SLK250. It is fitted with front 7.5J 225/40 R18 (42mm offset), rear 8.5J 245/35 R18 (36mm offset) wheels. In an attempt to get higher profile tyres to protect against potholes and give a softer ride (I'm 75 with hip problems now), I bought a set of R170 wheels on eBay, which are 7J 205/55 R16 all round (I don't know what the offset is on these). So far I've only tried the front wheels, and they seem to just foul the brake callipers. This afternoon I'll try the rear. I have a few days to send these wheels back for a refund, but am reluctant as I have to pay the carriage.

So my question is: Is it possible to get these wheels to fit using spacers? Has anyone any experience of fitting spacers?

I won't be pushing the car hard, I just like being able to overtake easily, and I don't do a high mileage, so I don't see any issues with safety or wheel bearings.

eBay seems to have lots of 16" wheels for R170/R171, but none for R172, although they are listed as available as original equipment. Maybe no-one buys them because they look too naff ;). Does anyone know of a 16" M-B wheel that will fit with no messing?

Any help appreciated.

Colin.

Have a look at alloywheelsdirect.net. They have 6 types of 16inch MB wheels that will fit a 172

They also have a fitting chart that lists the offset and tyre size needed

Thanks, I know the site, and have been using it for comparisons. However, I can't afford to buy a new set.

I'm now thinking about getting 17" wheels, and have also realised that earlier models have 12mm studs, whereas the R172 has 14mm studs, so back to the drawing board. I've been told to look for E class wheels W212 as an option.

I changed from 17 to 16 inch wheels on my CLK. Very little difference in ride, much cheaper tyres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom