Fitting twin horns.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LESTAYLOR

Car
W210 E320CDI 7 seater Estate, 2004 SL55 with F1 performance pack and a 1985 Mercedes 508D self conve
I have purchased a set of RING electromagnetic horns.can anyone advise me on wiring them up to my S210
The instructions ask if it is a positive or negative feed. I do not have a clue :eek:

I would guess it is a positive feed, but to check take your feed wire and put it on the side of a bulb and put the bottom of the bulb onto a good earth point, get someone to press the horn and if the bulb lights up it is a positive feed

Are there any cars with positive earth these days? :dk:
Saying that I have never come across a positive earth car :confused:

Saying that I have never come across a positive earth car :confused:

Youngsters!

Sorry but it has nothing to do with the car being positive or negative earth. It refers to the switching of the supply. It is quite common on some manufacturers to put a permanent unswitched live supply to the horn and then the negative is the switched to activate. They do this to save on wiring as if you have a switched live then you need a feed cable to the horn button and then the return to the horn + terminal. With a switched neg you only need one cable to the switch with the switch then creating the earth via the horn ring behind the steering wheel.

No positive earth cars these days - there used to be plenty of them around.
What the instructions are asking is, do you apply a feed to the horns to activate them, or is there a permanent (or aux/ign) feed, and the horns activated by the horn button taking them to earth.

No matter. Put the brown wire on the negative horn terminal and the other wire (black/.....?) on to the other horn terminal. That should work.

back about 6 months ago on the westbound M4, every tuesday morning there was a rolling police block whilst what I can only assume was some training taking place, was quite entertaining as i went past.

back about 6 months ago on the westbound M4, every tuesday morning there was a rolling police block whilst what I can only assume was some training taking place, was quite entertaining as i went past.

Did somebody post in the wrong thread :doh::eek:

Thanks for your help guys. After it has stopped raining and I have wired up my horns!!!! I'll just nip off up the M4 to look for a rolling road block. :D

Most rolling roadblocks are in fact negative earth.
Your twin horns however may be logged on ANPR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom