Fitting winter tyres to existing alloys

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by Richak, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Richak

Richak Active Member

Car:
    C320 CDi
    I currently have 225/45/17 on the front on 7.5j alloys and 245/40/17 on the rear on 8.5j alloys.

I'm thinking of putting on winter tyres - probably 225/45/17 both front and back -would this size fit on the rear 8.5j alloys??

Any advice on tyre choice - my local independent fitter is suggesting Hankook W300 or Bridgestone LM35.

2. x332race

x332race MB Enthusiast

I have 225/45/17 Vredestein Quatracs all round on my car for winter...rear are fitted to 8.5j alloys so you should have no problem...

3. Shude

Shude Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    Same here! There are a few of us who have staggered wheels but same-width tyres for winter use. Fronts are obviously fine but the rears will have no kerb-protection so a little more care is required.

4. OP
    OP
    Richak

Richak Active Member

Car:
    C320 CDi
    Cheers guys. Any thought on the tyre choices offered by my fitter: Hankook W300 or Bridgestone LM35. The Hankooks are about £20 cheaper each.

5. x332race

x332race MB Enthusiast

I have no experience of these tyres but either should provide massively better winter traction, especially in the snow. I have Vredestein Quatrac 225/45/17 tyres fitted...these are classed as all season tyres and I have run them all year. They have given good traction in the snow for the few weeks that it has been around for the past two years and I would recommend them. They have the snowflake mountain symbol and qualify as winter tyres abroad.

Suitable for use in the south of UK but maybe you might consider a more aggressive winter tyre if you are up north.

6. OP
    OP
    Richak

Richak Active Member

Car:
    C320 CDi
    Thanks for that - I'm based in Thames Valley so don't need anything too agressive. Had Vredesteins on my Honda and they were superb. Unfortunately my local tyre fitter can't get any more in over the next few weeks so my choice was a bit more limited. Have decided to go for the Hankooks, will try to remember to give some feedback on their performance later in the Winter.

7. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    I'm one of them - as Shude says, 225 do fit on a 8.5 inch rear wheels, bit it will look slightly stretched compared to a 245 tyre. Within acceptable range though.

8. Alscoob

Alscoob Active Member

Car:
    mercedes s204
    I hav just had 225x45x17's fitted on 7.5 & 8.5" rims I'll post a pic up later for you when home

9. Alscoob

Alscoob Active Member

Car:
    mercedes s204
    First one is the 7.5" rim with 225 tyre

[​IMG]

8.5" with 225 tyre

[​IMG]

Next two are the 8.5" rim also

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope it helps