Five roadkill recipes to try at home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Coming from a part of the world that eats cat, rabbit and hare without too many qualms - I can't say I've tried squirrel. There's a butcher not far from my house that sells it cleaned and ready to go though, so may try it...

The others seem quite standard really...

M.

cucinare_gatti.jpg

Last edited:
Only road kill I've tried was pheasant. A colleague hit one driving into work, stopped and picked it up dead. It went into the boot, and a few days later we celebrated with an an evening meal which would have cost more than any of us could afford at a restaurant...

Many years ago I worked at a place that bred quail. They always had an excess, and used to give them away to the workers, if they wanted them. So quail became part of my diet. There were also excess eggs - quail egg omelettes were on the menu too - about 15 make a decent omelette!

A few weeks ago my cousin and her husband were driving (quite slowly) along a country road, with a roof-high ridge on the near side (road was winding along the side of a steep hillside). A sheep jumped out from above, landing on the bonnet, smashing a headlight and denting the bonnet nicely. Sheep was killed (but you'll be glad to hear the car was drivable). They didn't put the sheep in the boot, though. Would have kept then in chops and joints for quite a while...

Orwic

Only road kill I've tried was pheasant. A colleague hit one driving into work, stopped and picked it up dead. It went into the boot, and a few days later we celebrated with an an evening meal which would have cost more than any of us could afford at a restaurant...

I thought there was a rule that if you hit wild game you couldn't pick it up, but a following car could...vaguely recall this from my days living around Epping Forest, when free roaming deer were not infrequently hit by passing cars?

I thought there was a rule that if you hit wild game you couldn't pick it up, but a following car could...vaguely recall this from my days living around Epping Forest, when free roaming deer were not infrequently hit by passing cars?

That was my understanding also..

Reminds me of a story read ages ago (probably untrue) about someone who hit a deer, stopped and loaded into his car only to find it was just stunned, not dead. Totally destroyed the inside of the car when it came round!

Friend of mine hit a pheasant in his 6 week old 911 GT3 doing xxx MPH, leaving him with a £2K bill for a new front spoiler. Most expensive pheasant he's ever had, he reckons..

Cheers,

Gaz

PXW said:

I've not heard that one. This was a very long time ago, so maybe the rules have changed. Don't know if it changes things if the pheasant was tame! But then you'd be taking away someone's property, so you're in trouble either way...

Orwic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom