FIX Flat sound with Apple Carplay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richard Hunter

Car
2016 E350d BlueTEC Estate, AMG Night Edition Premium
I have a late 2015 built (March 16 reg.) s212 with Comand NTG5.5 and Audio 20 (option 531).

The vehicle did not come with Apple CarPlay active - but our friends at Comand OnLine in Lightwater made the necessary modifications including to the twin USB interface in the centre armrest compartment. USB 2 was reconfigured to show the screen mirror icon - needed to run CarPlay from a suitable lightning cable to the iPhone (or similar for Android).

All good - but like numerous posts on the internet (many not Merc specific and to Apple) - using CarPlay loses direct access to the car sound equaliser controls (bass/mid/treble) when using Apple Music. I became amongst many frustrated CarPlay users where playing music in the car was with a very flat (tinny) tone and totally inferior to what could be achieved with Bluetooth or iPod media options through Comand directly without CarPlay.

I struggled for several weeks to try and fix this - including changing the iTunes default equaliser settings on each and every track on my iPhone to a higher base, less mid-frequency weighted profile. I also did the forget/reconnect CarPlay process with Bluetooth off. Still to only limited effect. The internet is full of claimed remedies that did not work for me and, well, were doing my head in!

HERE IS THE FIX. Despite the very last reply - IT DOES WORK and thanks to mjk2000 on MBWorld. You don't need the Harmon-Kardon option referred to in the post. This solution dates back to March 2016 but took me over 6 months to find. I hope it helps you more quickly!

Fix for weak audio in CarPlay mode - MBWorld.org Forums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom