Fix or replace?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twothirty

Car
1991 300te M103 12v
Evening. My local garage have said it looks like the head gasket needs replacing on my 1992 230te. It's done 170k miles. The suspension bushes also need replacing and engine mounts need doing so is going to be expensive but the question is whether it is going to be worth the money or should I put the money towards a new car. It's a lovely car but is starting to feel a bit tired. Should I fix it or look for another s124? I fancy an e280 - are they much juicer (all town driving)?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

They are far better equipped, have great but smooth power delivery, and overall will not be to much juicier than your 230.
It's a no brainer

The E280 will not be much if any worse on fuel than your 230. Checked properly mine does around 25-26mpg overall. Best ever was around 32 on a very slow run up from Italy. The weather was dreadful so rarely got above 60mph.

What about an e320 or possibly an e220? How would the running costs compare on the 6-cylinder engines compared to the 230?

What about an e320 or possibly an e220? How would the running costs compare on the 6-cylinder engines compared to the 230?

The e320 is the one to go for, just make sure that it has had the engine wiring loom replaced.:thumb:

Of course servicing costs will be slightly higher with the bigger lump. Reliability wise there will be little in it. Both the M111 and M104 engines are very good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom