fixed a deep scratch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RaceDiagnostics

Car
450SL XK8
To start with, I call a deep scratch one that you can easily catch your finger nail with.

Here is my scratch.

scratch%201.jpg

Next I masked it up to help me know where the scratch was when I start to sand it.

scratch%202%20masked%20up.jpg

Here is what I use on scratches, 2000 grit wet and dry paper to remove the scratch, megs scratch X to remove the sanding marks, and then megs polish to give a nice finish. I don’t have a DA sander so do it by hand.

sctach%203%20what%20you%20need.jpg

When doing the initial sanding just do it a tiny bit at a time, wipe it off and let it dry, the scratch will re-emerge, so do this iteratively until the scratch is gone or you lose your nerve over the clear coat thickness.

I use a magnifying glass to check on the scratch.

sctach%204%20sanded.jpg

Once you are happy with the mark then rub out the sanding marks with the megs scratch X.

scatch%205%20rub%20down.jpg

You can see from this pic that I lost my nerve before the scratch was completely gone but I am happy with the results, I had to try hard to get the camera to pick it out.

scatch%206%20still%20see%20it.jpg

Finally I gave it a polish over with the megs polish, all in it took about 30 mins.

scatch%207%20final%20polish.jpg

Looks like it's come up a treat!

Turtle do a range of polishes in different colours that come with a "lipstick" attached to the bottle. The idea is to use the lipstick to rub compond into the scratch and then finish off with the polish in the normal way, i.e. filling and masking the scratch.

This may be an alternative to thinning the clear coat in localised areas.

The thought of using sandpaper on paint scares the hell out of me. Well done. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom