Fixed an aircon control module!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
The electronic climate control panel on our old A4 has been playing up ... intermittent display, and buttons not working. A new one probably costs more than the car is worth!

Tried to find a replacement on eBay but unable to match the one in our car (even for the same year there are various different part nos.).

So ... I decided to carefully open the unit up and see if I could see anything obvious.

Where a ribbon cable connector meets the display panel I found 3 or 4 fractured solder joints on the back of the PCB ... here's one:

Audiclimate.jpg

Re-soldered all the connections (to be on the safe side), put it back together again, and it worked! :bannana:

From start to finish the whole thing took less than 30 mins. :)

OK so the blower has now died :rolleyes: but we are one step closer to being able de-mist the windows again :D

Seems the brushes go on the blower motor (as they do on M-Bs) ... hopefully a fairly straightforward fix.

Great news...

Remember on a MK2 Golf Gti the blower went and VAG wanted aroung £200 to fix (many years ago in student times that was a lot..)

Dad took it apart and it was a tiny o ring that had snapped (approx 20p)

Back together and worked a treat..

Always good when a job turns out a) easy b) Cheap

It's been many years since I did any real car DIY. The Audi is a good reliable runner, but the garage we have it serviced at won't touch electronics - even the auto electrician they use wasn't interested! So it was going to be main dealer (££££) or have a go myself.

I'm no electronics expert but 30+ years of r/c modelling means I'm quite happy with soldering.

The next dilemma is ... do I put the SL out in the rain so I can work on the Audi in the garage?!

Great... always very satisfying when you find something like this. I had the same on my Dell laptop just a couple of weeks ago. At least when you try the DIY route in this sort of situation you stand to lose pretty much nothing, as it would otherwise be a scrappy visit / main dealer job otherwise anyway.

Ian.

Yee haa ... a set of replacement blower motor brushes from eBay (£12.50), a bit more DIY, and we have a functioning heating/ventilation system again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom