Fixed pixels - now dash illumination isn't working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswt

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C320cdi Sport, S-Max 2.0T Titanium Sport, 1974 Triumph Stag (needing restoration)
Right, my dash extraction tools arrived from Germany last night and so I got to work this morning fixing the missing pixels in my dash display.

Temp is working perfectly now and the clock is almost there but on the clock side its suddenly gone dim and the dash bulbs wont light up either!!!

I've replaced the bulbs and they were fine when I tested it but as soon as I put the VDO unit back in they stopped working.

The dash has been in a out serveral times now and all the fuses have been checked so I can't think what the problem could be.

Saved myself £150 fixing the pixels but now I've got a feeling that I'm going to have to spend it getting the illumination working.

Any suggestions?

Are you sure the bulbs are Ok, once they get old they are very brittle and any vibration will cause them to blow.

Are you sure the bulbs are Ok, once they get old they are very brittle and any vibration will cause them to blow.

They were ok when I pulled in out, then back in and then out again.

I'm assuing its a bad connection because the clock isn't illuminated although the pixels are fixed now (all but 2).

Also I don't get any signals lighting up on the dash to tell me that my main or full beam is on.

I'm worried I might have damaged a wire when I put the dash back!!!:crazy:

Can you send me a link on where you bought your extraction tool ?

You can get them on ebay regularly but the cheapest place is probably the dealer or other independant supplier.
P/n W140 589 02 33 00

Can you send me a link on where you bought your extraction tool ?

They cost £16 from Ebay in Germany. To be honest you could easily make some with a coat hanger. Just use some pilers to bend about 3 or 4mm of the end at a 90 degree angle and you're done.

If you're not in any hurry then as soon as I've fixed my dash and all is back to normal I'll happily post them to you.

As long as you post them back when you're done. ;)

Alternatively you can hire them for £5 from these guys:

http://www.speedofixer.co.uk/pixels.htm

They cost £16 from Ebay in Germany. To be honest you could easily make some with a coat hanger. Just use some pilers to bend about 3 or 4mm of the end at a 90 degree angle and you're done.

If you're not in any hurry then as soon as I've fixed my dash and all is back to normal I'll happily post them to you.

As long as you post them back when you're done. ;)

Alternatively you can hire them for £5 from these guys:

http://www.speedofixer.co.uk/pixels.htm
Not needed yet, but maybe in futire. I have a few pixels missing

You can get them on ebay regularly but the cheapest place is probably the dealer or other independant supplier.
P/n W140 589 02 33 00

Merc dealers not officially allowed to sell you tools anymore - not even to trade.

Trade have to order via special online tool facility.

Retail - not at all - full stop.

That's the position in UK anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom