"Fixed Price Repair" for brakes. Dealer honours website price.

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by andyjenkins, Jul 16, 2011.

1. andyjenkins

andyjenkins Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S204 C250 Sport
    Yesterday I popped into my MK MB dealership after my C250 BE kindly advised me that the MD of the dealership needed to go on holiday and needed my cash, sorry, I meant to say that my brakes needed checking.

Car has done 28k miles from new, and dealer advised that it needed new front pads and discs. OK - maybe I'm a slightly enthusiastic driver, but thats not the point of this message.

Dealer quoted me £388 and some pennies. On checking, I notice the MB website has states that for all C Class, front discs and pads costs a firm, and exact £300.

Popped an email off MB, and they called the dealer that same day. Result ? A refund of £88 and some pennies. I was told that the dealer "didn't think that the Sport applied to the offer". Do MB fit other (perhaps non vented) discs to non Sport variants of the C Class ?

So - if your having brakes done at a dealer and been charged anything other than what the MB website says - make a point to question it.

Andy

1 person likes this.
  2. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

28K miles for Discs ?

They didn't last long how many track days have you done :) :)

3. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    28k is pretty heavy wear rate for the discs. My fronts lasted 50k ish rears on originals at 89k.

4. saorbust

saorbust Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS350CDI
    Agree seems premature. Thought the car would warn you if the brakes are low.....

5. Sp!ke

Sp!ke Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    SL500 & The Fart Car
    I did 190k miles on the same disks on my w124ce.

Granted it was a manual box but still....

6. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    I got 25k out of mine.

I guess a lot depends where the mileage was racked up. Start-stop crawling in city traffic, slowing down for speed bumps, or on Motorway?

So I don't think such variations are unreasonable.

My 2006 C180K in Classic has vented discs, so being entry level model i assume that all C-Class of this era have ventilated disks. However I noticed that some are cross-drilled, which mine aren't.

Said that... I think it's simply a clear case of 'have-a-go' garage practices....

7. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    As everyone else has said you did well...not. You were ripped off and made to feel good by getting £88 of the £388 they owe you back.

8. OP
    OP
    andyjenkins

Car:
    S204 C250 Sport
    How can you possibly suggest this? Did you see the discs? Your saying its IMPOSSIBLE for someone to burn through discs in 28k? On a previous car, I've burned through tyres in less than 10k miles - never having been on a track.

I didnt buy a Mercedes for value for money; I don't think anyone does.

Everyone drives different. I quite often drive like I stole it. :bannana:

9. OP
    OP
    andyjenkins

Car:
    S204 C250 Sport
    She did .. with a "Check brake wear" on the dash (see original post; maybe it was not clear with my attempt at a joke :cool: )

1 person likes this.
  10. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    You are right, I didn't see the discs. Did you?

11. saorbust

saorbust Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS350CDI

I am so sorry - I completely missed that !

:doh:

12. mercyme

mercyme Member

Brakes

Hi
    Ok I only have an A class,but I recently had that job done in Kwik-fit, £183 and pads replaced free in future.

13. Doodle

Doodle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    On the flipside, my local MB dealer has a fixed price for brake fluid changes. This price is obviously based on the majority of the range, as one would expect.

However, they will honour the price for SBC-equipped cars, despite "technically" making a loss each time.