Fixed the CL55 Fuel Consumption....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maff

MB Enthusiast
Now got over 50mpg..... By buying a Golf 2.0 GT TDI :D :bannana:

I though it was probably not wise to keep driving the CL up to the shops and back, not giving it time to warm up etc, so after speaking with DorianT who has been raving about the VAG Diesel units, I just bought a new Golf GT TDi.

Still has 140bhp, so it should go well too.

Hope to have it delivered within the next few weeks. :bannana:

I knew there must have been a way to make a CL go further on one tank of fuel!!

hehe.... you'll love it ... welcome to the diesel club :D

Maff said:
Now got over 50mpg..... By buying a Golf 2.0 GT TDI :D :bannana:
I seriously can't imagine that you'd spend same money on petrol as a new golf, and insurance, and everything else that goes with it, even with my limited maths capabilities!

Pics please! :)

I like your style!!! I wonder if I could use the same justification to my girlfriend for getting a new Kawasaki ZX10R :rolleyes:

LOL! The other reason was that I quite fancied a car that I could thrash around in, as you can't really do that in the CL as you would a) use lots of tyres, and b) loose my license!

Hopefuly got the best of both worlds now!

;) ;) Unacustomed as I am at being a kill joy!! I wonder how many thousands of gallons of petrol you could have bought for 'my car' in lieu of the Golf?

Hi Maff,
Brilliant car, with brilliant performance plus economy. It will make a very nice second car, just make sure you can prise yourself out of it to enjoy the pleasures of that beautiful AMG.

Perhaps you could take the Golf around the 'ring in lieu of 'my car' :) :)

Take care, and very happy motoring, oh just realised!! Will it arrive in time for a Christmas present?

Regards,
John

Yep, should get it just before xmas, which will be handy!

I recon over a year, the Golf will depreciate about £3000. If I continue as I am, i'm currently burning about £500/month on petrol, so thats £6000/year. So buying a Golf I save £3000 per year!!! :D Well, thats my excuse anyway!

Maff said:
Yep, should get it just before xmas, which will be handy!

I recon over a year, the Golf will depreciate about £3000. If I continue as I am, i'm currently burning about £500/month on petrol, so thats £6000/year. So buying a Golf I save £3000 per year!!! :D Well, thats my excuse anyway!

Not quite ... you still have to put fuel in the Golf !! But will be an interesting experiment nonetheless :D

sym said:
Not quite ... you still have to put fuel in the Golf !! But will be an interesting experiment nonetheless :D
...you'll also have to insure the golf, and get tax for it, and have it serviced!

Of course if you drive the CL less then it won't need servicing or tyres etc as often. The mathematical model is growing more complex by the second! :crazy:

EDIT: d'OH! You'll also go through twice as much car shampoo!

andyw said:
I like your style!!! I wonder if I could use the same justification to my girlfriend for getting a new Kawasaki ZX10R :rolleyes:

Before you do andy,

Have a look HERE

The problem seems quite common at the moment.

sym said:

And Tax, Insure and Service it!

EDIT: Doh! Nick beat me to it.

RichardM said:
And Tax, Insure and Service it!

EDIT: Doh! Nick beat me to it.
yeah and you missed out the car shampoo thing!

The cost of owning the average car is £5k per year before fuel/servicing/repairs etc, that's just depreciation and motoring taxes. Doesn't get more average than the golf...

Sp!ke said:
Before you do andy,

Have a look HERE

:eek: that looks quite severe!!! build quality on a par with MB :eek: ;)

Hate to be a killjoy Maff but the depreciation on your CL driven or not could buy one or two golf GTIs every year, but what the hell you only live once or if you believe in reincarnation more than once.

gary

Maff do you part X your old mercs or try to sell them privately, just interested in you opinion of the quotes the dealer gives you I am a little bit annoyed with my dealer, almost as bad as the BMW dealers and the head sales guy there was my friend. Thinking of changing up to the new S when it comes out but the fall in residual is pretty sharp and being retired and very poor it hurts more.

gary

I always try to sell privately. If that fails and I run out of time then the last resort is sale and return with the dealer, which generaly yealds better results than trading in - if you can be without your car whilst they try to sell it.

What you've got to remember at the end of the day is that all dealers are robbing bas***ds, even if they are your 'friends'! (Thats my conslusion anyway)

Sp!ke said:
Before you do andy,

Have a look HERE

eek, thats frightening. first time i've heard of that sort of problem hitting kawasaki. Suzuki, I would expect poor build quality but not Kawasaki.

Didn't consider a smart then? At least you could drive somewhere in style, then get the smart out of the boot for local journeys! :D

In fact you could have had one of those smart roadster thingies and it'd probably feel faster than the CL55 AMG as well! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom