Flakey Paintwork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys here’s a few photos of my beautiful flakey lacquer on my 2013 FOR c220 AMG...... only came up very quickly a few days ago but after looking closely you can see little bubbles all over it feels pitted as you rub your hand over her! So disappointed
The ones where white primer is showing are caused by stone chips, so they are most certainly not the problem to draw the dealer's attention to.

It's the little bubbles (micro-blistering) that you need to concentrate on, as they are the classic Fire Opal Red defect. The best photo that shows that is the top right-hand side of this one:

7E00A849-1BFF-4539-B9C7-FEF836052220.jpeg

One thing to be aware of is that if the car has had any paint repairs to the affected panels during its life that were not carried out by a Mercedes-Benz approved repairer, then MB will almost certainly push back on a claim.

Yes unfortunately there are a few stone chips which is not good..... but there’s enough of the real problem all over the car unfortunately. Thanks again for your help xx

If you read through my thread about my lacquer peeling, there's a link to a German paint manufacturers document that clearly shows and states that lacquer peel like some of yours (and certainly mine) is a manufacturing defect caused by poor adhesion of the lacquer coat to the base coat, caused by improper application of the base coat. MB ignored this completely and said it was all caused by stone chips, so expect the same response about that element. However, microblistering they cannon ignore, there is too much evidence and provenance about that, both here and in USA with Mars Red, so keep on them!!
FYI I got 2 quotes for the complete respray of my bonnet and roof, both from good bodyshops, the first was £1100, the second £600 - and the second company will be doing the job 20th Feb!

If you read through my thread about my lacquer peeling, there's a link to a German paint manufacturers document that clearly shows and states that lacquer peel like some of yours (and certainly mine) is a manufacturing defect caused by poor adhesion of the lacquer coat to the base coat, caused by improper application of the base coat. MB ignored this completely and said it was all caused by stone chips, so expect the same response about that element. However, microblistering they cannon ignore, there is too much evidence and provenance about that, both here and in USA with Mars Red, so keep on them!!
FYI I got 2 quotes for the complete respray of my bonnet and roof, both from good bodyshops, the first was £1100, the second £600 - and the second company will be doing the job 20th Feb!
Thanks again. I will keep on them, it’s clear there’s issues and there shouldn’t be!! Yes the stone chips I expect doing the miles!! But paint blistering off..... nope!! So I will keep on them. Ty again. Goodluck in feb 20th, let me know how it goes!! Xx

A Word of advice --- always communicate in writing/email quoting dates,named persons and relevant subject matter with this type of claim to establish a record . Communicating just by phone or in person by "rocking up " to a dealership on the off chance of speaking to someone with sufficient managerial clout to actually do something concrete is unlikely to meet with success. Nothing wrong with friendly informal discussions but always get a duplicate record on paper verifiable by a third party of what was said to avoid future misunderstandings. In the event if the dealership thinks you are taking the issue seriously, the likelihood is so will they.

A Word of advice --- always communicate in writing/email quoting dates,named persons and relevant subject matter with this type of claim to establish a record . Communicating just by phone or in person by "rocking up " to a dealership on the off chance of speaking to someone with sufficient managerial clout to actually do something concrete is unlikely to meet with success. Nothing wrong with friendly informal discussions but always get a duplicate record on paper verifiable by a third party of what was said to avoid future misunderstandings. In the event if the dealership thinks you are taking the issue seriously, the likelihood is so will they.
Great advice thanks again x

So I washed her and dried her and you can see tiny micro bubbles all over!! How did I not see this before? Took more pics too9742FFEB-D2CF-4032-9DAF-6B9460D8C9B7.jpeg . I’ll keep you posted as to how I get on. Thx you guys x 9742FFEB-D2CF-4032-9DAF-6B9460D8C9B7.jpeg9742FFEB-D2CF-4032-9DAF-6B9460D8C9B7.jpeg 834CCBD7-C397-4A52-8400-220127755185.jpeg

Attachments

• D3D31AD9-40CF-49E7-83C1-4AC0F8FE78BA.jpeg
    D3D31AD9-40CF-49E7-83C1-4AC0F8FE78BA.jpeg
    885.7 KB · Views: 4
Soooo, just out of the body shop, it’s a total respray, under warranty, they take it in, take it all apart take all paint off to the metal and do a whole respray.... not the bumpers but for £360 you can get them done too!! Thanks for all your help guys! Xx

Result!!:):):) Hope they provide you with a suitable courtesy car while the job is done, as they'll have your car for quite a while to do a full body respray. Happy that we on here were able to help you.

Result :thumb:

You must feel very happy right now :)

Hey you guys thank you all so much for your help, I’ll take pics and post them tomorrow. As the garage still haven’t called me back, I’ve decided to just call in and see them in my local garage tomorrow!! Thank you all so much xx
I wish you well and understand the headache and frustration!

Claire i have exactly the same issues....who did you contact to get the ball rolling x
Like me you probably wouldn’t have seen the imperfection when the car is gleaming from a good wax and polish... only since this weekend when I couldn’t get to polish it, incleament weather, had I noticed the fine pot marks.

Thank you so much for your help and advice. I’ve done as you said and googled it, omg thousands of issues, think I’d have bought a white one had I known this before!! Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my car, and it’s colour, but this is devastating.
Thanks again you’ve been great.
Claire xx
Clair your not on your own, we bought our car four weeks ago, if only I had joined this forum before, I would have know what to consider...

I would be interested in finding out how it goes.. I am also awRe that MB has made folk sign a NDA ahead of repaint work... I have even digging the wrb and our colleagues on hear are so true, it’s almost an epidemic, stretching worldwide..

Soooo, just out of the body shop, it’s a total respray, under warranty, they take it in, take it all apart take all paint off to the metal and do a whole respray.... not the bumpers but for £360 you can get them done too!! Thanks for all your help guys! Xx
That’s a really positive outcome, I am pleased for you and hope that you are content too.. great tenacity, good to be supported here too..

I only signed up tonight because I was researching the concerns about our red paintwork. The pstience and support here during another case really reassured me, so pleased that Claire got the outcome she did... we need to pursue the same issue with similar vigour, thank you Claire for posting and MB Club for accepting our forum registration so promptly!

Claire i have exactly the same issues....who did you contact to get the ball rolling x
LJ50 we are in Birmingham too, and sadly have the same issue.. our SLK took a lot of saving for so can empathise to a degree... I hope you get it sorted?

Hi everyone, I drive a Red C220 AMG, yesterday I noticed that the paint is starting to flake off my bonnet in a few different places..... does anyone know how long the paint warranty from the garage is? Any advice greatly appreciated I’m totally gutted by this!!
Thanks Claire
As I’m new to the forum I am unable to send out a personal message, I am looking to devolve from your experiences as our new car is show signs of flaking lacquer, it took us a long time to save to buy this car and our parade is truly rained upon, are you able PM me so I can learn your process as yours was an older car or perhaps you are new too without 30 posts under your belt?
Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom