Flame trap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rk100

Car
W215 CL65 AMG & W124 E500
Hello all

Does anyone know where the flame trap is on a R170 SLK 200?

Any help appreciated

Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone ever heard of flame trap in an SLK?

It is my fathers car and the engine management light is on - someone he was speaking to said to check the flame trap but didn't know where it was in engine. Given the limited response here I am wondering if it is know maybe as a different name? any clues anyone

Seems to be a volvo thing? Never heard of one. Seems something similar to a crankcase breather or oil catch can? :dk:

i-CONICA said:
Seems to be a volvo thing? Never heard of one. Seems something similar to a crankcase breather or oil catch can? :dk:

Yes when I was looking on the internet it seem to come up a lot in Volvos but not much in it for any type of Mercedes

The guy who said to my father send him this photo from a magazine where it notes the flame trap in SLK R170

image-4114574827.jpg

A flame trap would be a wire mesh gauze between air filter and carburetor - to prevent a backflash in the event of a backfire.

Mostly found on older cars - surprisingly my SL320 V6 has one on the plastic air filter connection where it connects to the throttle intake.

The principal was used on the Wolfe Safety Lamp which was used in the coal mines years ago to test for methane.

Think its another name for the crankcase breather assembly which can get choked with oil which in turn may lead to MAF contamination problems. Try searching for r170 crankscase breather??

The flametrap valve on the R170 is at the back of the head

SLKGirl said:
The flametrap valve on the R170 is at the back of the head

Was just trying to locate this on my da's car! Is it the small silver fitting that the black pipe fits into?

image-3940283476.jpg

Attachments

• image-3567023154.jpg
    image-3567023154.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 15
That metal pipe looks like it's for exhaust gas recirculation?

Not sure that's why I am asking - hoping someone knows where to look

I think it must actually be the oil/mist separator, not a "flame trap". - I can see that getting clogged and letting oil coat everything in the inlet pipework, which in turn upsets some of the sensors.

It might be this oil separator [oddly shaped black unit= purple arrow ] that attaches to the cam cover?
pic04.jpg

see
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...emoval/91-ENGINE-Exhaust_Manifold_Removal.htm

Yes, that looks like the kind of thing. - Breather hoses for the rocker cover going in one end, somewhere for oil to drain back to the sump in the bottom, and somewhere for (in theory; oil-free) vapour to be returned to the inlet manifold to get burnt-off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom