flashing lights then car wont start...uuurrgghhh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

niceguy2702

hi all, went out to start the car..it started albeit with an effort and when it started the red and green mirror lights where doing the flashy thing!!..so...turned of ignition....started agian but...battery sounded though it was dying!!...aa man came out...started straight away when jumped...tested the battery and when turned all elecs on when engine running the reading was dropping.....when turned everything off and the ignition..the meter read down to bout 11. 5 !!!..got me going...so i go 4 a drive......when i turned ignition off then on again..it started..but the red and green lights flashed again!!!..as you can probably tell..im no mechanic!!....so does anyone have any idea if it could be the battery or alternator?...any help would be appreciated....thanks..mr niceguy

niceguy2702 said:
hi all, went out to start the car..it started albeit with an effort and when it started the red and green mirror lights where doing the flashy thing!!..so...turned of ignition....started agian but...battery sounded though it was dying!!...aa man came out...started straight away when jumped...tested the battery and when turned all elecs on when engine running the reading was dropping.....when turned everything off and the ignition..the meter read down to bout 11. 5 !!!..got me going...so i go 4 a drive......when i turned ignition off then on again..it started..but the red and green lights flashed again!!!..as you can probably tell..im no mechanic!!....so does anyone have any idea if it could be the battery or alternator?...any help would be appreciated....thanks..mr niceguy

The red and green lights are the Alarm. When the battery power is low they will indicate a fault. Get battery charged, or changed if it does not retain a charge and all should be well again.

thanks for the reply....does it sound it could be anything else?..or do u think that would be it?.....its a 96 e280 btw

Sounds like your key fob itself is dying, replace it asap.

I had trouble about a year ago and had 2 buy 2 new ones £60 each!

they both died within a week of each other and only the dealers could fix the imobisier

what were the symptons u had?......apart from the lights flashing....seems like my battery is on its way out too!!..ive been told its either...battery...alternator...or as you advised the key fob?

Brian WH said:
The red and green lights are the Alarm. When the battery power is low they will indicate a fault. Get battery charged, or changed if it does not retain a charge and all should be well again.
hi brian..is that a fact that the lights will flash after starting the engine if the car battery is faulty?...cosa if it does i think it must be the battery and not the alternator.....thnx..niceguy

Hi, my car has started doing a similar thing. The red and green light flash simultaneosly, only way to get the alarm to reset was to disconnect battery and then reconnect. This has happened twice when my wife parked the car with the kids in. Bit lost what to do.

When the batteries on the fob died a couple of years ago I bought another one as a spare, had a nightmare figuring out how to resync. I also changed the battery about a year ago, but never had any problems with the alarm even when the car battery was too low to start the car!

It was pointed out to me once that when the green and red lights flash at the same time the keyfob battery is seriously low on power,if it gets too low on power it will just about let you unlock the doors but the immobiliser wont turn off.

BMW Keyfob batteries recharge automatically all the time that the key is in the ignition - pretty smart !

<Sorry - totally off topic !> :eek:

sym said:
BMW Keyfob batteries recharge automatically all the time that the key is in the ignition - pretty smart !

<Sorry - totally off topic !> :eek:

Poser. :D :D

Poser :eek: Moi ?!?! :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom