Flat as a pancake

• Thread starter Deleted member 113659
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

opinions please:

Got in my 2016 W447 Vito this morning to goto work. (Parked in garage) totally dead as though the battery had been disconnected. No lights on dash whatsoever. So, connected jump leads from car to van. Lights came on van dash but not enough power to start van. Went in house for a cuppa while car was running. 15 minutes later tried again and van started.

I've been using van daily doing about 12 miles per day. Nothing was left on in the van overnight.

So, why during one night was the battery so drained that it couldn't even power a courtasy light bulb? Is this the start of a battery/alternator issue?

Do I need to phone dealer up or was it a one off thing?

Incidentally the van started fine on the way home at 5pm after just a 6 mile journey to work.

TIA. Ant.

I would say...

Either a faulty battery - they can do that sometimes, i.e. appear dead then revive. Only solution is new battery.

Or a loose or corroded coonector (possibly on one of the battery terminals). Check, clean, and tighten.

Or an electronic fault e.g. key fob or EIS (though you would still expect to see some activity on the dash when you open the door).

I don't think however that this is a drainage or charging issue because it would be unlikely for the battery to revive itself in 15 minutes if it was trully discharged.

Also... did you check if someone left the interior light switched on?

Thanks MJ

bare in mind the van is just a year old so hopefully not corroded terminal. Battery is located under drivers seat so always nice and dry.

Mrs Ant & daughter never go near the van so I know for sure interior lighting hasn't been left on. Anyhow's, they're all on 30 minute timers so impossible to leave on constantly.

Bit of a mystery really.

I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Seems you've a short to earth then. Have a look for some wires chaffing and leaking current to the chassis somewhere. Inspect all SAMs too for water ingress.

Just get Mercedes out. They will carry out some tests and go from there. Sounds like something drained the battery. Parking lights? Interior lights?

Thanks for that.

Van back to normal this morning. As I said, nothing springs to mind and didn't do anything differently. (That I'm aware of)

I'll give them a call sometime today and get their thoughts.

Thanks guys.

Whatever it was it’s been fine since.
It has now entered a state of hibernation. It will wait until you are desperate to use the van with no substitute available. Think of the busiest most congested traffic back spot you can imagine on your normal travels? This is where it will strike again, bringing large swathes of angry motorists to a state of rage as you block the entire road. Small, furry woodland creatures will come out from hibernation, to watch and laugh, as you struggle to push the van to the side of the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom