Flat Battery - how long to recharge? HELP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carnut

Car
SL400 & audi A1
My partner has a mini and shes left the lights on overnight and all day!:crazy:

How long should it take a battery charger to recharge to the point of getting the engine to fireup? I dont want to try prematurely and go backwards on the charge capacity and its over 30 years since Ive had to do this so my memory is not up to this question:(

I need to sort this now as she has to go to work tomorrow early and Halfords ( if I need a new battery) are only open til 8pm

You would be better getting some jump leads and starting the car that way and driving it around for an hour. A battery charger will take several hours to charge. You can also get devices to start cars that look like a battery charger, but they are expensive. If you have RAC or AA home start, call them.

Bit worried about jumpstarting from my SL as Im paranoid about all the electrics,ecu,restts etc that might result. Think it would be ok?

Charging the battery overnight should be sufficent.

Would be wary of jump starting for the reasons you state.

Dont jump it from your SL - unless SL under warranty.

The phone controllers in pre Model Year 2005 cars are prone to voltage related issues and probably more.

I second Geoff's advice !

R

Thanks for the prompt advice to all above. This forum is certainly useful and very on the ball:rock:

Car battery charged in under 2 hrs and all is now OK ( til tomorrow at the crack of dawn:eek: ?)

Leave it on overnight on a trickle charge if you can, winter is the worst time for your battery! Driving it round after an hours charge won`t do it much good as in the morning you could end up with lights, heater and possibly heated screens, all big current drains. A good overnight charge will do the trick!!

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom