Flat battery no access to boot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sleezie

Car
Slk 200 amg roadster
My battery is flat on my 320clk cab. I do not have the 3 prongs under the cap in the front just an earth. I have drilled my boot lid until it looks like a Swiss cheese there is no rod in the back to pull up! It is a UK model 2002 any ideas. My latest it to scrap it as I am now very frustrated:

I know this might sound silly but can't you use the key?

Admittedly it might not be the same, but my batter is located in the engine bay. - At the back under a cover (I can't remember which side, but the jump starting tabs are on the passenger's side).

As above, I'd use the flat key to unlock the door then pop the bonnet... If your battery is genuinely in the boot, then I'd try to use the key to open the boot.

A208 clk the battery is in the boot and the boot locks seize up due to lack of use.
Best option is to keep spraying with WD 40 and easing the lock with the key.
This usually works.

The main feed to the pre-engaged starter motor solenoid comes directly from the battery positive. Clamp a 12 volt 5amp dc +ve supply to it and the other to a suitable earth point on the body. The lock should be now powered up if its not seized up. You will probably need to replace the battery if its been sitting flat for some time.

Last edited:
The emergency key does not work as the lock is seized due to not being used normally central locking releases boot but battery flat so.....

Jack up car put positive on starter motor and earth on chassis press button on key open car

Can you get in to the boot from the rear seats? - I'd guess the answer is "no" because the seat release is in the boot.

Will the key blade fully enter the boot lock; compare how far it will travel into the driver’s door lock or the glove box lock. If the key doesn’t fully enter the lock then it can’t be turned.

If the key does fully enter the lock and doesn’t turn to the left, try turning to the right?

Were did you drill, a picture would be useful.

Dec

2pt2exi.jpg

Thanks everyone. Was about to Jack car up but needed something under Jack as car on grass. Do not know why but tried a different plan of attack with emergency key. Over the last few weeks have used full tin off wd and half tin of plus gas no no avail. Turned key so hard barrel spun completely round using plyers. Today using plyers rocked back and forth for about 5 minutes and hey presto. Big hole under the number plate to sort now but that is no issue. It is really worth persisting with the key but you do need plyers to apply a bit of force, just rocking too and fro did the trick.

Avoid using pliers, except if you need to improve your grip of the key, apply too much force with pliers and either the lock will brake or the key blade will snap. Put more WD40 into the lock while the boot lid in the open position, the lock can’t be fully treated with WD40 while the boot lid is shut.

Dec

This is how I managed to get in I could not turn without plyers it was so seized that is why I posted. It is amazing how strong both key and lock is. Only problem with key is that is marked from gripping with plyers but once back inside plastic cover you can hardly tell and key not even bent which really did surprise me. I am an engineer by trade and was expecting the worst

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom