Flat spotted wheels after hitting a pothole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete W

Car
Diamond White C63 AMG
As per title
Car was in MB today and they say I have flat spotted both wheels on the passenger side and they need replacing. Thing is the car drives fine no vibrations. Can these be repaired or am I looking at new rims even though I can not feel any problems/vibrations through steering etc.

It's perfectly possible that the rims are bent without you feeling any obvious vibration. However, if they've suffered an impact hard enough to bend the rim, I'd not be comfortable that the tyre sidewall integrity is still as good as it should be.

Depending upon the extent of the damage wheels can be straightened, but be aware that there will be changes to the wheel material properties that will potentially weaken it. Whether any weakening constitutes a danger or not is difficult to say. Hotrodder of this parish has extensive experience of working with light alloy components and posted up a very comprehensive explanation of what the consequences are of welding or straightening alloy wheels. I'd suggest a search for his posts.

Sorry to hear that Pete. A sad start to ownership of your lovely motor.

Can't offer any advice but hope you get it resolved.

Ant.

I would agree with Phils comments re alloys. I have seen , admittedly laquer flaking/corroded, previously damaged alloys break at the scene of a collision.

My gut feeling regarding the tyres is to change them. They may not appear damaged but if they've allowed the rims to deform with them in between the road and wheel they've taken a beasting. Youll neverr know for sure whilst using them if theyre going to fail.

Well ordered two new wheels £1292 fitted ouch.......

As you say, ouch!

However, on the bright side you'll know the wheels are sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom