Flex disk. Which side?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mdnilson

Car
W221
Quick question. Which side is the propeller shaft one? (The old flex disk on the picture)
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_940.jpg
    IMG_940.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 44
I have mounted it the right side towards the front of the car (rear flex disk), but not sure if it's correct. the flex disk looks a bit bended - like the propeller is not going all way back towards differential and each side (differential and propeller) is pulling it.

The holes with the raised metal sleeves in the picture is the side that mounts to the transmission or diff.

As Al says the raised metal sleeves actually fit into small recesses in the flange as can be seen here [ 190 drive shaft]
pic05.jpg

pic08.jpg

Confused. Is it mounted the correct side?

Attachments

• IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 30
It looks like not! The little 2mm shoulders protruding from alternate bolt holes in the rubbers are designed to fit into the recesses in it's mating flange and their purpose is to transmit the drive from the flex into that flange. NB..it is NOT the bolt that transmits the torque, it's sole purpose is to maintain a clamping pressure.

To this end it is important that the recesses in the flanges are clean and clear of debris.

Ignoring the red arrow if you see the yellow arrow where the shoulder on the coupling mates with the flange and enters the recess in that flange. It it the same for both sides of the coupling. It appears from the 1st of your pics above that you have used the supplied washer to space out the rubber. This is incorrect, the washers are only used under the bolts and not as spacers.

Last edited:
Actually...correction to that. After studying your pic in post #1 and seeing that the coupling has stepped shoulders it looks like you have got it correctly fitted. Only thing I might question is the use of the washers under the bolt heads and not the nuts on the diff flange side.

I have put 4 washers on each side - always on the rubber side (so the washer is between head/nut and flex disk)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom