Flickering Xenons. C55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timk

Car
VW Passat Alltrack, E39 BMW M5, Mercedes C55 AMG Wagon
I’ve got a lengthy thread going on the AMG section, but this is a more specific query so I’m posting it here first. The passenger side xenon headlight on my C55 estate is flickering on and off quite regularly now. It’s not showing any dashboard warning lights. Simple bulb fix or something more sinister and expensive? Anyone had similar probs?

Bump.

Been searching for a DIY on how to change the xenon bulbs but to no avail - also anyone know where best to source replacement bulbs?
Any pointers appreciated!

You might find it's the ballast with the problem rather than the bulb itself. I had an occasional-flickering Xenon on a car once and I think the finger of suspicion pointed to that although it wasn't cheap to replace. I just lived with it in the end and waited for something to die but it never did and I sold it. It didn't flicker all the time either.

Does sound more of a ballast or even igniter problem rather than the bulb. Swap the ballast or bulb over (whichever is easier) and eliminate from there

I’ve got a lengthy thread going on the AMG section, but this is a more specific query so I’m posting it here first. The passenger side xenon headlight on my C55 estate is flickering on and off quite regularly now. It’s not showing any dashboard warning lights. Simple bulb fix or something more sinister and expensive? Anyone had similar probs?
Mine does the same,,but after a while it swaps sides,and sometimes both go out at once,,have tried new bulbs,ballast,and even both front sam units,,still does it

I wonder whether there’s a voltage issue with some of these. Could an aging battery cause them to flicker?
On mine I changed the bulbs a couple of weeks ago and it’s not done it since, but will keep an eye on it.

I wonder whether there’s a voltage issue with some of these. Could an aging battery cause them to flicker?
On mine I changed the bulbs a couple of weeks ago and it’s not done it since, but will keep an eye on it.

The strange bit is,it starts off on the n/s headlight,then switches to the o/s,occasionally both will go out at the same time,,now the dash lights have started the same symptoms

Dont go bright,,just go on and off,same as dipped headlights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom