Flight information wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
As per the topic,
My daughter is off to Missippi in July-ish to stay with some friends, has anyone any recommendations regarding flights?

Do different airlines have different amounts of leg room as my daughter is quite tall. Prices are of course another issue and any tips on this issue will also be greatly appreciated.

Can I tip off Immigrations on her return and perhaps get her banned from re-entering the UK? :devil: :devil:

Thanks in advance for any help, guidance or suggestions,

Regards
John

The last couple of times I've been across the atlantic on business I've flown cattle class with Virgin Atlantic and been very impressed. Great cabin service and a reasonable seat pitch. If you fly on one of their A340-600's then the entertainment system is great too.

Just been checking and there is a limited choice of airlines that fly to Jackson, Missippi.

smDL.gif
Delta
smUS.gif
US Airways
sm9W.gif
Jet Airways (India)
smAF.gif
Air France
smAA.gif
American Airlines

Looks like American Airlines at the moment.

Economy fare is approx £600 return
Business class £1700

Regards
John

http://www.seatguru.com/

once you have a choice of airlines based on cost you can check out the legroom on the aircraft that will be used on the day, expedia can tell you which aircraft is used. finaly you can check the best seats to pick in the relevent class.

http://www.seatguru.com/

once you have a choice of airlines based on cost you can check out the legroom on the aircraft that will be used on the day, expedia can tell you which aircraft is used. finaly you can check the best seats to pick in the relevent class.
Hi ewan,
Thanks very much indeed, that link is gping to be a great aid.

Thanks again
Regards
John

Just been checking and there is a limited choice of airlines that fly to Jackson, Missippi.
Yes, but lots of choices to get you from the UK to the USA. Have you looked at any deals on Expedia? If your daughter intends to rent a car too then you can often do better as a "package" booking.

BTW, just checked Ewans link and it's saved to my Favourites already!

Have you looked at any deals on Expedia? If your daughter intends to rent a car too then you can often do better as a "package" booking.

BTW, just checked Ewans link and it's saved to my Favourites already!
Yup we use Expedia and now with the link supplied by Ewan we are sorting out the tickets.

At the moment my daughter is a non driver :) and we are still looking for a decent cheap first car (hint, hint)

United Airlines, NO.
I think AA offer good leg room down in cattle class.
AA looks very good, has anyone any comments about British Airways Economy Plus?

Regards
John

AA looks very good, has anyone any comments about British Airways Economy Plus?

Regards
John

you do mean 'world traveller plus'don't you? Its a bit of the plane that is nearer the front, and has a tad bit bigger seats allowing them to charge a bit extra.

Virgin do the same with Premium economy. It will make a difference for the longer legged passenger, but you don't get any privilidges. You want to hope you can get moved to this class from cattle class, then you dont pay extra.

I find that booking with American based airlines often allows you to get upgraded on the return trip as US operators overbook flights to guarentee full loads.

Last edited:
Oh, something else! Have you tried looking at non direct flights from other airports, and using connections flights.

I mean, Heathrow to JFK then JFK onwards. Could work out cheaper! Internal flights often run smaller, less load critical aircraft, so cheaper seats.

And most the no frills airlines in the US are owned, or part owned by the major carriers. Ted Airways is one.

Guess which part of United it is?

Thanks very much indeed. The girls aer now looking at the seating plans :devil: :eek:

Thanks again

John

now I should have read this before my last post.

point made tho.
They are flying to Jackson, Missippi and if we are not careful, some of the changeover flights last for up to 23hrs!! I think it would be great if we could try to aim for a 12hr journey time.

I have absolutely no experience of mopdern aircraft and my travels ended in the era of the VC10 :eek: :eek:

The girls are not well off so it is the cheapest option available taking into consideration my daughter's height.

Aircraft so far are the 757, 767, and 777.

What about insurance, has anyone any observations about where to get the insurance cover from?

Regards
John

If you pay by credit card, it maybe the card covers travel insurance.

I used an online insurance company last time. clinky

Any independant travel agent will sort out decent cover cheap.

Aircraft so far are the 757, 767, and 777.

75's and 76's take longer (Complicated rule about distance they can fly on 1 engine), and 75's are a bit on the small side for long range travel.

777's seem okay providing they land on the runway!!!

75's and 76's take longer (Complicated rule about distance they can fly on 1 engine), and 75's are a bit on the small side for long range travel.

777's seem okay providing they land on the runway!!!
They always say great minds think alike but you are so sloooooow :devil: :D :D I had already frit the girls with that one :)

The day I am as quick as you with the witty's will be a good day ;)

Take care you Judas

Regards
John

The day I am as quick as you with the witty's will be a good day ;)

Take care you Judas

Judas as in Judas Jalopy that I drive?

Or is it the ISCARIOT CHARIOT that appeals?

Flying is by far THE safest form or transport! Last year less than a 1000people died in plane crashes world wide. I can't remember the number exaclty, somewhere between 500-800 I think.

Try looking at the UK's car fatalities for a comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom