flip[ key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepper&boulou

Car
Volkswagen Passat V6TDi estate
flip key

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a folding/flip key for a 1988 w124 without the plipper buttons. :eek:

Last edited:
There are some aftermarket companies that make an MB/VAG-like flip key fob. It comes with a blank which you can get cut to match your "ordinary" key. The buttons on it do nothing, but you could have your alarm remote installed inside it and then you've got the whole package :)

The oem flip-key costs a bomb and without a lock change or something I doubt you'd get a set from a stealership, they'd not be able to order it for you :(

Shude said:
There are some aftermarket companies that make an MB/VAG-like flip key fob. It comes with a blank which you can get cut to match your "ordinary" key. The buttons on it do nothing, but you could have your alarm remote installed inside it and then you've got the whole package :)

The oem flip-key costs a bomb and without a lock change or something I doubt you'd get a set from a stealership, they'd not be able to order it for you :(
Could you give me a name of an aftermarket supplier please ? and would they be able to install my alarm remote inside it or are they learning remotes? Thanks in advance Alex. :)

Last edited:
I was thinking about this myself today :)

KillerHERTZ said:
£60 per keyfob from the Stealers :(

And the rest - I just got a new key for my 1997 W202 : £85!

I bought a genuine MB flip key from ebay for about £15. The blades are interchangeable and yes you can get a W124 key in there with a little fettling.

I tried to fit my alarm remote inside it and managed to completely destroy it vainly attempting to get it open and change the innerds. I'm pretty sure the MB ones are sealed for life so swapping innerds is a complete no-no. :mad:

There was a discussion about this on BNZsport a year or so ago including a detailed how to.

There was also talk of a group buy of flip keys with alarm units from some company in Japan - dunno what became of the idea tho.

Have to do a search on Bnzsport I think.

Sp!ke said:
There was a discussion about this on BNZsport a year or so ago including a detailed how to.
That's how I know about it :)

Another forum member bought a generic flip-key from German ebay and had it cut to match his car (Antony/Bloodmoon) and it looks good, although it's not quite MB quality I think it's the one that bnzsport have been using. It's totally empty inside so an alarm fob could easily be taken apart and installed inside, in fact that's what it's for :) .

I just searched German ebay and there seems to be a good supply of genuine keys for MLs and Gs (flip)! What's that all about? :)

Didn't see any on the w124 German site but quite a few on US site so that's it sorted then. :D

I used a OEM 202 one and fitted my 201 key straight in, and fitted my alarm inside (just) works ok, but the button i couldnt get perfectly central...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom